I Forge Iron

maple flooring

My son recently purchased some very old maple flooring that he will clean up and re-use in a house he is building. The nails are square cut, I would like to save these for some future use? anyone done something with old nails? I like the idea of reuseing something into something new.
Adirondacker

They are probably cut nails, they still make them as they have more holding power than wire (round nails) about 30 to 40% more. they are nice for period looks. and like wire nails, there is a right and wrong way to drive them in wood.

Edited by irnsrgn

Thanks for ideas and suggestions, sq nails cut where as round ones split, when I installed knotty pine ceiling here I used flooring nails took awhile but once in place it stays put, finish nails would split the tongue. So will try out new forge today and staighten some bent nails. For jewlery what should be used as a finish on them? Littlewolf where in Upstate New York?
Adirondacker

Usually you put the widest part of the nail perpendicular to the grain of the wood. But with flooring or specific uses the nails go paralell to the flooring and perpendicular to the studs. The only thing is that you need pincers to get them back out.

Edited by CBrann