I Forge Iron

The novice

i want to get into blacksmithing. I have several questions about the whole of the process.
1. I dont have a lot of money. could i make my own forge out of lets say brick?
2. what do i use for the fire it self?
3. how do u fold the steel or iron or temper it?
4. and what tools should i have before i get started?

Iwant to get into blacksmithing. I have several questions about the whole of the process.

Let me take this one question at a time. Welcome to IForgeIron. Many of your questions are answered in the matirial on this site. Post specific questions and they can be answered in the forum.

I dont have a lot of money. Can I still start blacksmithing, and what tools should i have before i get started?

STOCK
You will need to get some metal to work with. The local junk yards, alleys on trash day, neighbors and places that discard metal drops as a by-product of their business are good sources. The local steel yard is good as they will sell you the same size and quality metal each time.

FIRE and FUEL
What do i use for the fire it self?
What do you have available for fuel? Propane, coal, charcoal, wood (turned into charcoal), and coke can all be used as a fuel. You want a forge that will use the fuel you have available to you.

FORGE
Get way to get the metal hot. This can be in a forge, but is dependant on the heat source and fuel available.

Could i make my own forge out of lets say brick?
A forge is only a container to hold fire. It can be a hole in the ground, built from bricks, metal or as one fellow did on this forum, a little red wagon. http://www.iforgeiron.com/BPindex/Subject/Forge/BPforges.shtml will present several forge designs. The freon tank gasser and the now famous 55 forge are low cost was to build a working forge.

HAMMER
Some type of hammer. A ball pein hammer (machinest hammer) or any hammer about 2 pounds in weight will work. This can be located in many homes, garages, flea markets, or stores that cater to tools at a discounted price. I have purchased new 2# hanners for less than $5 from tool discount stores.

TONGS
Something to hold the hot metal. Look for a pair of vise grips. Later you can locate real tongs or make your own tongs.

ANVIL
Something to beat on and use AS an anvil. This can be any piece of metal with a mass of 70 to 100 pounds will work. A piece of rail road track that you stank on end, a piece of 3 to 4" solid round or square, a piece of 4" steel plate 12"x12" sq is about 150 pounds, or just a piece of metal with about 100 pounds weight. You would prefer it compact in size. You can use this for learning and practice blacksmithing while looking for a "real" anvil.

How do u fold the steel or iron or temper it?

FOLDING STEEL
You fold steel or iron by siimply folding it over onto itself. If you are asking about then welding the two pices together in the fire, or making damascus, that needs to be ask later after you have worked with some metal. It has specific instructions to follow, and you need some forge time first.

TEMPERING
When the steel is heated it can then be hardened by quenching in water. It will be hard but also brittle. You then "temper" the steel or reduce the hardness of the metal in favor of toughness. This is done by heating and then only cooling the portion of the metal being tempered, then let the residual heat flow back into the portion being tempered. As the area then reaches the temperature desired for toughness, it is then quenched again. For more information see BP0078 Metallurgy of Heat Treating - Quenchcrack Robert Nichols

If you have additional questions just ask. But keep referring back to this thread as many others can provide their thoughts also.

Start with BP0051 Good Coal, and BP0131 Coal, Coke, and Rocks. It will explain solid fuels. Then move to BP0035 Fire and Smoke - Pages 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 - Index as it explains how to get the fire started.

The 55 forge B-0133 55 Forge Pan is not a heavy duty forge, but a way to get started with only a small amount of time and money invested. It will work for both coal and charcoal.

http://www.iforgeiron.com/BPindex/Subject/Forge/BPforges.shtml

You can do a search on "charcoal" in the forum and get some information there, but there is not as yet a blueprint on the subject (hint-hint).

Redeemer,
Here are a few links that may help, after you read through the blueprint section on this site. The first link is on how to make Charcoal , the 2'nd Link is a nice little portable forge that can be made with almost no tools or ca$h and remember there is always more than one way to build something. Don't get frusterated if you can't find exactly what someone else used, IMPROVISE!
http://www.twinoaksforge.com/BLADSMITHING/MAKING%20CHARCOAL.htm
http://64.176.180.203/washtubforge.htm

Hope this helps

Jens

hello my friends i have decided on the shape and size of my forge and i would like to get some feed back from you guys.

I would have the base of the forge 2 ft wide, 31/2 feet long and about 3 feet high made of cinder block.

the forge will be placed ontop of the base it will be 3 feet lond, 3 feet wide and 2 or 3 bricks high with a peice of metal running in the middal of the forge with holes in it to use a blower.

i would like some feed back from you guys on this design.

I would suggest building a inexpensive forge to start with, one that is potrable and easily moved. Forging outside does not require a hood, let the smoke go where it will. With a practice you can learn how to build a fire that releases very little smoke.

Why so large a forge? Even when forging swords you only want to heat up the area you can work on before it cools off, (especially for swords as heating where you are not working results in grain growthn scaling and decarburization---all bad things.)

Thomas

Reedemer, if your entire forge is built from cinder blocks it will crack, and break apart. My first couple of forges were of the cinder block design and they broke apart in an hour or so. I'd recommend a brake drum as a fire pot to START with, but try and get a good heavy commercial firepot if you can. If you're using wood charcoal, you can make a simple forge out of a washtub and fireclay. Also, charcoal briquets give off toxic fumes when burned at high heat in a forge so I would stay away from them.

Most guys on here know lots more about blacksmithing than I do, but thats just my two bits.

Julian

FIREBRICKS are designed to take heat, but there are different types of firebrick for different applications. You need to seek the advice of those knowledgable in that field.

Thomas Powers is knowledgable about clays that can be used for making forges. He is a member of this forum.