I Forge Iron

Newbie from Minnesota

riverrat

I tinkered with hot iron in the 70's but life got complicated and I sold all my stuff. I can't believe what I am now paying out to repalace it, but hey that's life. I'm excited to get going again. Tomorrows road trip across Wisc. will put me in posession of a 203 lb Hay Budden anvil. I'm getting close to what I need to get going again.

Great site you have here,
Gary

Welcome back to the addiction Gary, glad to have ya.

I hope you aren't going to wait till you have all the "right" tools. All you really need is something to beat on, something to beat with, something heavy to beat against and a hot fire.

Frosty

Thanks to all for the welcome,
I live on the Straight River in the City of Faribault. My plan is to build a permanent forge but for now I'm planning on dropping a brake drum into the top of a 55 gal. drum so I can start fooling around. I did get the anvil today. I must have past pretty close to your place Finnr. I went all the way across Wisc. on Hwy 10 to get it. The guy also had 8 tongs that I was able to pick up for 20 bucks. I'm just fried after putting on 600 miles today.

Gary

You came real close . I am about nine miles South of 10 from Fairchild. Sounds like the trek I made to get my forge. Nearly clear across the state and south a bit as well. For a hundred bucks though I couldn't pass on a cast iron forge with the original blower.
Finnr

:cool: Hi this is Jake Smith and I am from New york....
I am new member to your forum....
I like this forums topic...
Thank you!!!!!

Welcome aboard Jake, glad to have ya.

If you'll click on "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your locations you'll make it easier for local smiths to contact you, maybe with a hot deal on tools or some hands on help.

Frosty

Roger, good to hear from you! My son Mike and I took your Roycroft Copper Vessel class at Tunnel Mill in 2007 (I think)... by the way, that was an excellent class, thank you.

Yea, I know Myron. He's a great guy. We are both members of the Guild of Metalsmiths and he lives about 1.5 miles from me. I should be going to the program committee meetings at his house every month, but I have be remiss lately. :-(

I have been spending a lot of time trying to finish my smithy at home so I have missed a lot of local events.

Gotta go now. Talk to you later.