I Forge Iron

Re: post T-Rex vs Porter Burner

Ben_C

The Rex line of burners were initially designed by Mike.

Mike's generation 5 burner is his design after he did the "hybrid" of the Rex type. His type 5 is also the last one he did, he's moved on to applications for naturally aspirated burners. A burner application book will be his next or that's what he said last time I talked to him.

As to which is better, either one will produce more than enough heat efficiently if properly used.

Frosty

• 1 year later...

I forgot the biggest difference. Rex burners come ready to run and you'll have to build a Porter.

That's a lot more significant than it sounds, Mike spends close to a day building one of his type 5s.

Frosty

What type/gen is in his book?

I am currently using a Reil EZ that I built years ago. Looking at an upgrade to Mike's 3/4" from the book, but seriously considering using the lathe and mill to do something cleaner. But without screwing it up. ;)

Just wondering if there are any improvements I should be incorporating. I'm also back-and-forth-ing on putting in a taper to the tube, a la Rex.

Thanks,
Dave
(First post here - can't believe I just found this place!!!)

Not sure which version is in Mike's book, but that is the one I have. It gets plenty hot. At 1920 - 2000 I am at 4-6 PSI. I can easliy get to 2300 and hotter. I didn't want to burn up my K thermocoupler so that was as hi as I ran it.

Last time I talked to Mike which was maybe 2003-4, he said something about writing a book on soidering and being able to soider glass to metal. It was quite awhile ago so maybe I remember that wrong.

Not sure which version is in Mike's book, but that is the one I have. It gets plenty hot. At 1920 - 2000 I am at 4-6 PSI. I can easliy get to 2300 and hotter. I didn't want to burn up my K thermocoupler so that was as hi as I ran it.

Last time I talked to Mike which was maybe 2003-4, he said something about writing a book on soidering and being able to soider glass to metal. It was quite awhile ago so maybe I remember that wrong.

Yeah, I think I need to stop screwing around for the last 1% and just get the thing built. Or things. Think I am going to build a pair to replace my single Reil EZ. If I can't weld with that then I just need to give it up.

Thanks for the info, Devil Dog.

Dave