I Forge Iron

New to Blacksmithing

Welcome to the show Dale!

I recently picked up a book that I recommend to you, it is called "Blacksmithing -basics for the homestead" by fellow Coloradan Mr. Joe DeLaRonde who runs his shop in Mancos.
He is a well accomplished smith known for his 'hawks, axes and knives.

If memory serves I believe somewhere in cyberspace I ran accross mention that he also offers classes, but don't quote me on that, see what you can dig up that way.

Good to have you here. Dan :)

I live about 20 minutes away from mancos in durango, ill have to pick up that book. Thanks.

One thing im having confusion with is fuel types. Im planning on using coal, but I have heard charcoal briquettes are bad. Can I buy the correct coal i need at HomeDepot or Ace Hardware stores?

I live about 20 minutes away from mancos in durango, ill have to pick up that book. Thanks.

One thing im having confusion with is fuel types. Im planning on using coal, but I have heard charcoal briquettes are bad. Can I buy the correct coal i need at HomeDepot or Ace Hardware stores?

Dale you are correct in avoiding briquettes, whithout a protracted dissertation here just don't go there.
Yes you can get fuel from a big box in the way of hardwood lump charcoal, usually by the ten lb. bag but doing so as your main source of fuel will make you a poor boy quick. I do keep a bag of that on hand as it is what I use to start a coal fire in my forge, about a double handful of nickel sized pieces in the pot with a loose wad of newspaper under in the tue. Once that is going well and the flea circus is in full bloom I sweep in the coal atop that.

Here on this forum is a list of coal suppliers, also Mr. DeLaRonde has such a list in his book including the one he says he has been getting his coal from for several years-

Utah American Energy
375 S. Carbon ave. Ste. 127
Price, Ut 84501 (435)613-0805

Hope this helps, good luck. Dan :)

I felt like I was cheating when I did that. I bought a couple bags of cowboy. Used one whole bag making a few little things. The fireflies were horrible and the blower could lift the pile. Then I bought coal and used a little charcoal to start the coal. Wow what a difference. I've been working on the same 50lb bag for a few days. I hear that the charcoal is good for forge welding though being that is a more pure carbon fuel. I've been trying to save my coke too.

BTW Dale welcome. My Lowes carries the Cowboy brand charcoal about $6 a bag. One bag got me through an afternoon. The little fireflies bit the heck out of me and made me nervous around some dry leaves :o In comparison, the guild I just joined sells 50lb bags of coal for $7 or so and it'll last a few days depending on what you're doing. I'm still very new at this and I think any time spent at a lit fire is money/time well spent. Nothing beats experience. Good Luck!

Rob.

Welcome aboard Dale, glad to have ya.

Charcoal is easy to make, different woods make for different heat and gleetee (fireflies) levels. Some make veritable firestorms of sparks and some make no sparks at all. A little experimentation with available woods will will show you which is best.

Frosty