I Forge Iron

Im a begginer

youngster

i need help i made a forge frame in schoold its all done except i need fire clay to coat it. the metal was kinda of thin but i was hoping that fire clay would take most of the heat. like i said im new and i dont know much. i cant find were to buy fire clay in missouri. my forge is kind of funnel shaped. im pretty much going on hunchs and internet here. i want to learn .what sould i do?

Edited by youngster

First off ask questions before you DO anything. Educate yourself on what TO DO and how it should be done - SAFELY. Joining IForgeIron and your first post is a great way to start.

Go to IForgeIron.com > Blacksmithing Groups (right hand column) and look up the Blacksmiths Association of Missouri - BAM. These folks can not only help you get started but show you how to do it correctly and safely.

You did not mention if it was a solid fuel forge or a gas forge. If you have a solid fuel forge and you have any clay mud in Missouri, then use it to line the solid fuel forge. Look at the Blueprints and BP0133 the now Famous 55 Forge for an easy to build solid fuel forge.

DO NOT "go on hunches and the internet" as it can get you hurt. You must educate yourself about your project. The internet is a good place to start, but choose your sites carefully as anyone can set up a web site. Notice that IForgeIron keeps pushing safety. Read and notice people get corrected when unsafe practices are mentioned, followed by the correct way to do things. This is to keep you and others from getting hurt. Go to IForgeIron.com > Lessons in metalowrking > Blacksmithing and read the whole section. It well introduce you to blacksmithing, what you need and how to use it. Then go to IForgeIron.com > Forum > Archive (bottom right in the green bar). Click on a section, then a sub-section, then a topic. Notice the pages 2,3,4 at the top. Read all the material on all the pages.

Use both the opening page search engine and the forum search engine to look for answers to your questions. Then return to the forum and ask (post) your questions. Someone on the site will provide you with an answer, or a place to find the answer.

Welcome to IForgeIron. Enjoy your visit.

i am around St.louis my parents are parinoid so thats all i can say my forage is a solid fuel forge and i have been studying froges and what i ment by hunches and internet i s the design of the forge i used un galvinized or zinc metal ( im a bad typer) my first design was from a book that used a tire rim i just changed it to 4 pipes going down and metal connecting then to a kind off square funnel, i was just doing the start till i could get someone who knows what to do from there. thanks for the sites ill check them out. im suposed to be doing some school work know so i need to get of i will check back when i get home.

Youngster, invite your parents to visit IForgeIron. Bring them up to speed on what you are doing. If you insist on purchasing safety equipment first, it will go a long way in getting their approval with what you do. Safety equipment is eye protection, ear protection, cotton clothing, and shoes. A cotton or leather apron will got only protect you but will protect your clothes from getting dirty during blacksmithing.

Read the article LB0009 Living with a Blacksmith.
Take off your dirty shoes before you enter the house, then wash your hands before you touch anything. Use old towels to wipe your hands, not the new ones with "guest" written on them (grin).

Welcome to our merry band, good to have you.

Glenn's pretty well covered the basics. Being up front with your parents and introducing them here should go a long ways towards gaining their support. Show them we're not a bunch of online wahoos (well, some of us are) many of us are full time professional artist blacksmiths (not me by the way) and aren't filling you with dangerous nonsense.

Frosty

Youngster, You might care to mention to your parents, that many of us are parents as well, and tend to have a parents care when advising young folks. I have had all 4 of my kids in the shop since they were pretty young. None of my kids have been injured in my shop. I do insist on safety gear, and proper safety precautions. One of my kids, the oldest, who happens to be atiny female has paid for three used cars fom selling her blacksmith work.
Show them that you will be safe, and learn useful lessons for your life, and that folks with lots of knowledge and care will assist you and I suspect they will support you in this pursuit. Get them to accompany you to a meeting and see the folks, heck they may decide to make it a family pursuit. Remind them that time in the shop is time not spent doing bad things:)