I Forge Iron

Old Blacksmith leaves $3.5 M to NU for scholarships

That's a wonderful story. What caught my attention the most, was, How did a blacksmith amass 3.5 million dollars? I've got some clients that ask me do do a project and send them a bill. I wonder if I should send out a few invoices for 2million, and see what happens... in all honesty, jokes aside, I'm humbled by his example.

"How did a blacksmith amass 3.5 million dollars? "

A few smiths, particularly ones who run high end architectural shops, make very good livings. But Nebraska isn't the place to get rich doing that. In this gentleman's case the explanation is more likely that he lived frugally, lived a long time, probably worked a long time, and invested wisely. He also had few expenses (wife/kids). All that, combined with the miracle of compound interest, can go a very long way.

remember he was born in 1915 ! so he inherited his blacksmith shop from his dad and ran it thru many years some of wich were probably verry productive.. blacksmiths were inportant for farms well into the 50s and 60s and i bet he ended up doing weld and fab work ....And i bet he was real frugal ta boot!!