I Forge Iron

Metal Heating Safety

La Tour Rouge

How do I know what metal is safe to work with?
(it shoudldn't be galvanized etc)

And how do I ensure my workplace is properly ventilated? Is working outside sufficient ventilation?

And what is the proper respirator cartridge to use when dealing with metallic dust fumes vapours and gasses?

Thank You! Im new here :)

La Tour, welcome to IFI... there are folks here that are much better qualified to answer your questions than I am, so I will let them answer you on these important topics.

While your waiting for a good answer, you might want to go to the top of the page and click UserCP, there enter in your location. This will help the others give you better answers. An example might be what kind of respirators are available in a given area of the world.

Look forward to seeing you around IFI

James

Welcome to our merry band.

The best way to ensure you aren't putting a dangerous metal in your forge is to buy new stock from a reputable dealer.

Forging outdoors should be plenty of ventilation as long as you don't put something dangerous in the fire.

The most common dangerous gas you'll run into is CO Carbon Monoxide. Solid fuel forges can produce other things and gas forges may produce other noxious fumes as well.

I don't think most guys wear a respirator but I won't fault a person for being cautious.

Frosty

There is no one answer to your question. Working outside has many advantages. Working outside with a fan blowing shoulder to shoulder across the body, has many advantages. Your situation, and Your work conditions are unique to you, and you will have to adapt to your type work and equipment used.

One thing for sure, if you can see it, taste it, or smell it, then it is not air, followed closely by educating yourself on that CAN be in the air that you CAN NOT see or taste, such as CO, CO2, and minute particulate matter (dust) and vapors. Read BP0051 Good Coal and the section on trace elements. Read the MSDA sheets on the products you use, such as welding rods. Read the Spec sheets on the steel you purchase, or look them up on line.

Read everything you can about the products you use and how to use them properly and safely. Doing your homework and educating yourself on the materials you use will go a long way in keeping you out of harms way. It is through education that welders can use welding rods safely, that people can use galvanized products safely, and people can safely do many other jobs that involve hazardous materials.

Zinc, Cadmium, Hydrogen Fluoride and other toxic compounds