Jump to content
I Forge Iron

Any idea?


Recommended Posts

Hello im trying to identify a hammer from a picture, the picture isnt very clear so i have made a drawing of it, i know its a poor picture but this is all im able to do.

The hammer comes from a "German picture" (sketch) that is around 300 years old.

Any idea of what this style of hammer is called or used for?.

Thanks for any help.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Exactly the same head shape from this side elevation as a Twybil

Whats a Twybil ?

It is a tool used for making mortice like joints in hurdlemaking, the axe end cuts the sides of the mortice and the sharp end may be chisel ended to pick out the centre of the to be finished mortice, the endsof the mortice are drilled and this tool remove the centre portion

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...