I Forge Iron

Anvil & class

I have an Anvil given to me by my oldest son, it weighs in the nieghborhood of 150 lb and has a name stamped in it (TERXTON), anyone heard of this? The surfaces appear to my untrained eye as good, would have to have someone who knows look at it before attemping to true up, if its not broke no sense in fixing, I do know that it has a nice sounding ring when struck. I have a line on a brake drum off a school bus and have rounded up other pieces to build a forge with, winter here is cold and deep snow so between sawing and plowing has been little time to build a forge. Have found several hammers in the 1 to 2 pound size some are in need of touching up but are still serversable and just need new handles, will turn these down out of hardmaple, can't at the moment tell you what kind other than they are not ballpeens, couple have a wedge in the back that is perpentical to handle the other one has the wedge part in line with the handle? One last comment, for Christmas this year my two boys signed me up of a weekend class with an experienced blacksmith, (thirty years) would like to go during mud season, he has about 6 to a class so should be fun and will meet others of same interests, what I don't think to ask maybe someone else will? This is a good example of added value to his business and maybe some of you more experienced smiths could consider teaching others?
Adirondacker.

Sounds to me like your anvil is a Trenton. They are very nice anvils, and will last a thousand years if used properly. Resist the urge to grind on the face of the anvil in order to "true it up" because the face is actuallu a thin (+-1/2 inch) layer of tool steel forge welded to a wrought iron body. If you grind the face to thin it will end up cracking, delaminating, or chipping. So be carefull!! Treat it well and enjoy learning a new trade!

Howdy form East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI! Jose addressed the anvil well, you have a great anvil....don't mess it up!;) The hammers you have are: Cross pien---"wedge running perpendicular with the handle" and Straight pien---"handle running with the handle". Both are very useful. I use a 2#er myself, but I'm not a large person and this works well for me. It is a cross pien made by the late Tom Clark. Something you may want to consider is buying one of Uri Hofi's hammers. There is good information here on his hammeres and when/if you do I advise you to learn the technique to using the hammer. It will save you from damaging your joints ie, elbow and/or shoulder. There is a blueprint about it in that section.

Stateing the obvious here but you have a couple of good young men for sons. Taking a class this early in you endeavor of this fine craft is excellent, will save you tons of scrape and frustration!!:) Good luck and welcome to IFI. We're here to help as well as learn and hope you take the same couse.

Welcome aboard, good to have you.

Sounds like a Trenton anvil, excellent anvils.

A bus brake drum is too large for learning with. You'll want to keep your fire smaller as learning projects typically don't require heating much more than a couple X the size of the hammer's face.

Get in touch with a local blacksmithing group, there's a good chance you can get some hands on and expert advise before the class starts. Taking classes is excellent too.

Sitting around chewing the fat here is a good way to fill "spare" time.

Frosty

I'm not sure where Thurman is, but if ever you are up in my neck of the woods, I'd be glad to help, I'm about 30 minutes east of Rochester, just north of Lake Canandagua and the Town Of Palmyra. Give me some notice, and I'll be glad to, we have a great group of smiths meeting once a month on the 3rd saturday here as well, we are called the New York Designer Blacksmith Artists assoc. great group of fellows and 1 woman.