I Forge Iron

Anvil question

Just wondering if anyone knew any information on this anvil I own. Bought it from a old gentleman about ten years ago, he said it was used in a farriers shop right behind his house many years ago. It weighs 155lbs and it's not in bad shape for however old it is. It has one 5 point star on one side and no other markings except a few intials that must have been scratched into the other side.There is no ring whatsoever when hit but it rebounds just fine, if that helps any. He would only take twenty bucks for it and only if I would take the stand with it, just wanted to get rid of it he said to a good home. Not too bad a deal if you ask me.

Thanks for any input...........Scott

10577.attach

10578.attach

10579.attach

Edited by Furnace1

I have heard those refered to simply as "Star Anvils".

I had one (badly damaged) a couple years ago, and someone was kind enough to look up some information on it for me (they found it in Postman's book, I believe).

If I remember correctly, they were manufactured in New Jersey during, or slightly before the Civil War.

I'll look around and see if I can find anything else on it.

Don

The lack of ring is due to the fact this is a cast iron anvil, with a tool steel face giving the good rebound. Richard Postman states this anvil was manufactured by "Anvil Works" from the early 1850's to the late 1860's---approx. 20 yrs. According to an early ad Fisher & Norris bought out the Star Anvil Works sometime in the 1860's or 1870's, and may have continued to manufacture the 'Star" anvil on a limited basis. There is a cavity (approx. 1 7/8"dia hole about 8 3/4" deep, depending on size of anvil) in the bottom of the anvil that was referred to in the patient as a "tempering cavity". Pages 197-199, "Anvils in America" by Richard Postman.

I THINK I have one, at least it looks EXACTLY like this one and the one illustrated in "AIA" but mine has very little of the face left on it. I found no distinctive maker's mark when I got it but now I know what to look for! I will difinetly be checking this out tomorrow! Mine was given to me a back in mid '06 and it has sat, lonely yes, but none the less, out side my shop since I brought it home. I'm sure it has TONS of stories to tell. Good for you AND GOOD for the gentleman that saw fit to give this treasure to someone to use. I think you have an excellent anvil. Just won't draw too many folks at a demo...no ring. HOpe this helps.

Thanks for the help. I knew it was old but I did'nt think it was that old........WOW...... it goes along well with our home here that's coming up on it's 160 year birthday. I wish both of them could tell all thier stories as well........wouldn't that be something.

I am plan on using it to make more things that seem to just have to be made for as long as I'm able to. I thing if I ever do a show I'll buy a smaller one that makes more noise just because people like to hear that ring......personally, I like it quiet

Thanks again Don A and Element and Thomas.........Scott

What is that white powdery substance on the ground? :)

It was just a little snow that day BUT..............we have a lot more now and we are expecting 24 below zero temps these next few days. I don't think I'll be out there pounding on my anvil until it warms up to at least 10 or so........yes I like the cold............Ice fishing Sunday!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks .........Scott

It was just a little snow that day BUT..............we have a lot more now and we are expecting 24 below zero temps these next few days. I don't think I'll be out there pounding on my anvil until it warms up to at least 10 or so........yes I like the cold............Ice fishing Sunday!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks .........Scott

One more reason they make Fords and Chevys!