I Forge Iron

Aluminum on Anvil?

I just forged a little aluminum on my anvil and I mean a very little aluminum and I noticed the aluminum leaves what almost looks like light crayon marks out of aluminum. I suppose it's slag of some sort? How does one get this off? Or does one even worry about it? Seems like mixing ferrous and non-ferrous is a bad idea? :confused:

this si the same effect as when you brush ironwork with a brass wire brush ... its a little of the aluminum transfering it will wear off fairly quickly or you can remove it with a abrasive .I wouldnt worry about it unless your doing a lot of forge welding it might cause problems if you have a lot of it but probably not... have fun

okay thanks, i was just worried about putting dissimilar metals into the grain of the metal. In aircraft mechanics the big scare was always about using tooling on dissimilar metals because of dissimilar metal corrosion. Guess that's no real problem here.

When you're building or working on an aircraft you have to be careful of anything that can affect safety. Al is virtually always the one to suffer where electrolysis is at work and you really don't want pieces falling off in flight.

In this case the al will oxidize and buff off in use.

One of IFI's subscribers, Bill Roberts, routinely forges al cold with no problems from scuffed off al.

Frosty

• 4 weeks later...

One of IFI's subscribers, Bill Roberts, routinely forges al cold with no problems from scuffed off al.

Frosty

forge it hot and cold, fwiw. I've never had a problem going from forging non ferrous to ferrous.....on the same anvil. Not sure how it would effect forge welds, though.
2 centavos
:cool: