I Forge Iron

Parts for coal forge

Rub

Hey guys and gals,

Just found you site yesterday. :) So this is it . . . I just bought an old coal forge the other day and it is missing the tuyere. I was able to rig up an old cast iron floor drain cover (short term fix) and it worked pretty well. The question is any suggestions on how to make one or where to buy one? Someone selling on Ebay but they look as if they will not last very long (not very thick and also not cast iron). Looked around on iforgeiron and did search but did not find anything relevant. The ID on the up pipe is 2-3/4" (3" pipe?) and the bolt spacing center to center is 3-7/8". Attached is a picture of the forge. The whole coal forge thing is new to me, have been using a gas forge for quite awhile and always thought the coal looked like a real pain. But after playing with it for two days now I like it, its got personality. :rolleyes:

And thanks in advance for your replies or suggestions.

Rub

Welcome to IforgeIron! Go to CP at the top and put your location in your profile. You may find a "neighbor" who has what you need.

I use 304 stainless drilled plate in my forges, it resists the heat, as will cast in most cases. The biggest enemy of a hot tuyere is cold water, be careful, no matter what you use, a splash of cold water on a hot one will crack it.

Edited by unkle spike
corrected my temp error

Good,

I tend to over think the simple things sometimes. I'll check back for any other ideas, but I guess I'll just make a bunch of disposable tuyeres. I was afraid something might burn out while working and make a mess or cause damage. And the good lord knows I don't want to break my new toy.

Rub ;)

I made my fire box and tuyere out of carbon steel plate, pipe and mechanical tubing. It has been operating with no ill effects for about 4 years. I worked with plans in McDaniels book(I don't remember the title of the book or McDaniels full name). If I did something right it was probably an accident.

G'Day Rub , i've been usin' a castiron vent cover in my forge for almost 14 yrs , still looks today like it did the day i first dropped it inta the fire pot . Works that well i've been keepin' an eye out for another , just incase i drop this 1 & break it :(

Other smiths ave tried ta talk me inta " fabbin' up a grate " for my forge ,, can't see why , when this works so well for me

Dale Russell