I Forge Iron

Sale of excess equipment

Good afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen.

I am a longtime wanabee blacksmith who has decided it is time to reduce the surplus blacksmithing equipment that I have been collecting for the past 30 years. I find I have very little time to fire the forge and I'm not getting any younger. I registered on this site to get some advise on the best way to sell this equipment.

I have at least 2 extra blowers, about 6 post drills and 5 tail vises that I would like to clear out. I will be keeping the best of the best. I do not have a list of makes and models yet as everything is tucked away in the barn. I would like some suggestions on where to list them and if I should clean and finish or sell as is. I am looking for the best return on my dollar. I do not have to sell these items so I will not be giving them away to all the starving smithys out there. I am located in Central Indiana.

I would greatly appreciate your suggestions.

Thank you.
Jon

1st spot would be here, after all this is the highest concentrations of smiths in the world and who else would be using the stuff! ;) If you have little or no success here I would try craigslist in your location. Blacksmith tools show up there fairly often.
As for cleaning or not...I would think you'd get a better price if the item was ready to work. I hope that you are not expecting 'antique' prices for the stuff, if so, then I would suggest you go to eBay. Stuff sales there for double if not more than it would anywhere else I've seen. Pictures here would be nice....

I am in Fort Wayne, I can always use tongs, and electric blower. I have apprentices that need most of their own things still, such as a certain 16 year old boy. SO I can safely say most any shop equipment you have to sell. WILL find a home through IFI