I Forge Iron

Friction folder with horse head

Flaming S Forge

Looks great, especially for a prototype. Only thing I'd say, from a design stand point in my opinion, would be to refine the head a little more around the muzzle. It definitely has huge potential as is though. While looking at it, I got the idea for a friction hoof pick of the same design. Something for people to pack into their pack for an emergency on a trail ride or such without worrying about the pick poking into things.

I agree, a little refinement of the horse would be a good thing.

The feel I get is it's the kind of folder a Viking would carry if folders were around.

I like the idea of a folding hoof pick too. I think there's lots of potential for the design.

Frosty

I agree with refinements for the head. If I get a chance to make some more of them I will definitely fine tune the details. Right now it has that cartooney look of Quick Draw McGraw. The young ones on here might not know who he was. Frosty, I like your comment about the Vikings. Now you have me thinking about making some sort of Viking head gear. Ha.

I wouldn't change a thing, I've been thinking about it since I saw it yesterday, just beautiful, from thought to finished product in one day.

I spend a day heating and pounding then another day reducing it to filings on the floor.

Keep up the good work

Mark

Thanks to all for the words of encouragement. I had a chance to show the knife to several people in the last week and it got a positive response. So, I guess I will make some more of them. Just have to find or make the time to do it. For you young people who don't know about Quick Draw McGraw, he was a cartoon character from the old days, Sept. 1959 through Sept. 1966. He was a horse that walked upright like a human, dressed like a cowboy and was the sheriff. His trusty side-kick was name Babba-Louie. Boy, I'm getting old.

• 3 weeks later...

I was born in England in 1975 and yet I know who Quick Draw McGraw is, and who Snagglepuss is, and who Deputy Dawg is, and Bullwinkle Moose too for that matter with his mate Rocky the flying Squirrel. We got a lot of the american cartoons here when I was growing up from Warners Loony Tunes to the Hanna-Barberra stable. Tom and Jerry were favourites as a kid, as was the Roadrunner and Coyote (Tex Avery was a genius).
When I was a teenager the Japanese cartoons came in, redubbed into English and often with a totally different story from the japanese original too. Transformers, Ullysees, Lost City of Gold etc.
Now there's a good mix from England, America (I'm sorry but Sponge Bob ROCKS) and japan, if you've got the cartoon network then your laughing.

Ah if I could spend all day in front of the telly..............

I was born in England in 1975 and yet I know who Quick Draw McGraw is, and who Snagglepuss is, and who Deputy Dawg is, and Bullwinkle Moose too for that matter with his mate Rocky the flying Squirrel. We got a lot of the american cartoons here when I was growing up from Warners Loony Tunes to the Hanna-Barberra stable. Tom and Jerry were favourites as a kid, as was the Roadrunner and Coyote (Tex Avery was a genius).
When I was a teenager the Japanese cartoons came in, redubbed into English and often with a totally different story from the japanese original too. Transformers, Ullysees, Lost City of Gold etc.
Now there's a good mix from England, America (I'm sorry but Sponge Bob ROCKS) and japan, if you've got the cartoon network then your laughing.

Ah if I could spend all day in front of the telly..............

Ian,

I agree completely, I had a little trouble at first with Sponge Bob, but my 3 yr old daughter has converted me. There is a channel called Boomerang that has some great old toons on it also.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming....Nice knife Flaming S!

Hello, I'm in England and just signed on here for some ideas. I'm slowly gathering stuff to start forging but it will have to be outside and there's a lot of snow about at the moment. I bought a 1cwt anvil a while back and a leg vice today. Your knife looks like an interesting project with a historic feel to it and I must be old too as I remember all the old cartoons. My grandkids watch the new stuff but I don't follow them any more.