I Forge Iron

New kid on the block

leroyk

Ted t thanks for all the good imfo. am sure it will help mw a lot. this past winter another blacksmith let me use his forge and power hammer. In three trys I had a moderate sucess, one failure and one really good damacus billet. I had been wanting to try this for over five and finnaly got t he chance.
However I do not want to wear out my welcome so I am going to build my own forge
an am t hinking of building a hydraliuc p ress for welding my billets. do you think it will work? Thanls again for any input anyone would like to give my. Leroyk

Leroy,
Now that is some exciting news that you got to have some hands on time. It makes a difference.
My qualifications for giving you this response is as follows: I am a wannabe knife maker. So please keep my expertise in-mind as I say the following.
Due to having a cash flow issue I have been looking for an economic way to create

• 2 weeks later...

hey ted i went yesterday by my frien with forge and hammer and played for about 5 hrs
i made t wo billets one about240 layers and theo other oneabout 60 in the latter i put three peices of a damacsus shot gutn barrel and some 15n20 a little pure nickel and some 1095 havn't had a chance to clean up to tell if i got a weld or not will let you know when i clean it up lee