I Forge Iron

Fireplace doors, my first set

I finished this set of fireplace doors back in mid September. These were a big challenge to come up with a final design that suited both man and wife. The customer stopped by my shop and asked if I would be willing to make him some energy efficient fireplace doors. He said all of his room heat is being sucked up the chimney and needed a way to hold some heat. He told me he has had an idea for the last 3 years and nobody is interested in building them for him. When I heard that, I was eagerly awaiting to hear what he had in mind. He wanted two glass doors, 2 lower air vent controls hand forged hinges, latch, and door handles. So, he took me to his home to see the fireplace and get some measurements and input from his wife as to what she wanted. I walked in and there was this mountain stone fireplace with an arched top. Of course the top arch was jagged and uneven as stone would be. His walls were barnwood from the 1700

10409.attach

10410.attach

10411.attach

10412.attach

The customer didn't want to drill into his stone work for attachment so we came up with an alternative method. I attached 2 pieces of 1/4 X2" flat stock about 12" long to the bottom frame pointing inward. He placed some heavy metal weights on the two flats to keep it perfectly upright. He then used a type of cement which is normally used as a sealer around coal furnace stove pipe to the chimney flue. I can't think of the exact name for it but it gets hard but not rock hard. It is easily chipped out if you decide you want to remove it for any reason. I think his plans are to pull the doors out after the heating season and set his barnwood doors he made in the fireplace for the warm months. I actually used his wooden doors to get the pattern I needed for the uneven arch. They were a big help.

Nice job.

One good way to attach doors in a fire place is to mount a piece of strip stock on each side with two machine screws, one high one low. The screws pass through threaded holes in the frame and using a wrench tighten the pieces of strap stock against the fireplace.

Remove and replace with no holes, nothing to chip or clean up, easy and fast.

We bought a Jotul wood stove a couple years back and instead of tempered or pyrex glass it has a clear ceramic for the windows, the same stuff in the space shuttles. It's guaranteed to withstand cold water splashed on it at 1,600f without damage. I've had logs bounce off it, brightly glowing coals burning against it, I've accidentally smacked it with the poker and had heavy items bounce off it from the outside without damage. Great stuff, I love it.

Frosty

One good way to attach doors in a fire place is to mount a piece of strip stock on each side with two machine screws, one high one low. The screws pass through threaded holes in the frame and using a wrench tighten the pieces of strap stock against the fireplace.
Frosty

I was thinking of how I would have dealt with this problem but didn't (and likely wouldn't) have come up with that. I'll have to file it away for future use. Thanks.