I Forge Iron

Making a forge

Lumberjack

Hey everyone, I am interested in getting into smithing and am looking to make a forge, I currently have an old car gas tank and I am wondering if this could be modified to be turned into a decent beginners forge? If so, can someone give me advice for building the forge and what a beginner should make to start with, I want to make knives/swords eventually.

Any advice would be great, thanks!

Lumberjack check out my gallery, I don't know about the gas tank, but i started with a dirt forge, then a brick dirt forge, then a brick plywood forge(stupid), and now my own metal forge, fabbed by me. Do you have anvil, hammer, or metal???

No, I am just focused on making a forge right now, I was going to worry about all the tools and material later.

LB0003.0001 Blacksmithing Forges

Here's a link to a lot of different solid fuel forges. As you will see, there are lots of good designs.

I don't know about using the gas tank, though. I don't mess with them at all.
Too dangerous. While you might manage to build a forge from a car gas tank, the metal is too thin to last for very long.

Hope this helps!

By the way, welcome to Iforgeiron!
Enjoy! Edited by jayco

Hey, people have built forges out of barbeques, what the heck! It doesn't have to be the only forge you ever build, many of us have more than one. The gas tank sounds a bit on the large side, but maybe that's because I'm used to older vehicles... if you use mud to line it you can make the firepot whatever size you need for a project.

Wally World had some oval washtubs embossed with "Cold Drinks" and "Beer" for $8, one of these days I'll make the one I got into a forge.
http://64.176.180.203/washtubforge.htm

Good Luck!

Edited by BeaverDamForge

Welcome aboard Lumberjack, glad to have you.

By the sound of it you don't have the specialized metal working experience to safely modify a gas tank. It can be done but not without risk of explosion unless you know exactly what you're doing. I disrecommend it highly.

Besides there are lots of perfectly good alternatives to be had just for keeping your eyes open. John calls his plywood and brick "stupid" but I can't disagree more, he just needed a better idea of how to do it. People have been using wooden and clay/brick forges for millenia. Hardly a stupid idea.

Then there are all the other pan shaped objects laying around that will work perfectly well. If you're REALLY lucky you'll run across one of those ugly cone shaped sheet metal fire places that were so popular in the 70's. These puppies are about as perfect as it gets for a home made forge.

My first forge after the hole in the ground that is was a brake drum let into a washing machine door resting on cinder blocks and blown by a hair drier. I burned wood in it but didn't know how to make charcoal and coal wasn't available to me at that time. I was maybe 10.

Don't forget about or disregard the idea of a propane forge. They're clean economical and more than able to get the heat you need.

Lastly (for a start) if you'll click on "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location you'll undoubtably discover folk living close enough to get together with.

Frosty