I Forge Iron

Old English Anvil Question

I have begun acquiring anvils as I come across them and now have a William Foster and a Fisher.

I am now looking at an old English anvil with no step that is 180lbs based on the stone weight on the side.

The seller says though that it doesn't really rebound and he does not believe it has a steel face. I found online where the English anvils in the 1700's and before did not have steel faces and were just forged steel forge welded together.

My question... is an old English anvil without a rebound worth buying as a usable anvil? Or is it merely a collectible at this point?

Thanks for your help

10380.attach

Considering the things that some people have used and do use as an anvil (cast iron ASOs for a start), I'm sure such an anvil is certainly useable. Whether you want to use it day in day out is another question though -- it was probably made before your great grandfather and not so many anvils survive that amount of time, considering the daily heavy use they often had, the reduction in demand that they experienced in the last century, not to mention the scrap-metal drives during the two world wars...

The seller says though that it doesn't really rebound and he does not believe it has a steel face. I found online where the English anvils in the 1700's and before did not have steel faces and were just forged steel forge welded together.

The problem is, with the best will in the world, you simply cannot take anybody's word on the quality of an anvil unless you know for a fact that their opinion is fully qualified (let alone trustworthy?). If you can afford it, buy it. If nothing else it can be used as an upsetting block, or just enjoy it as an antique.

I have never passed up an opportunity to acquire an anvil. If I could swing it I would buy it. Around here they are just too scarce to pass up. Of course one has to be the final judge considering your financial position and the quality of the anvil. But as has been said on this thread "you can always find a use for it."