I Forge Iron

mild steel strength

Rantalin

I want to make a sword out of a piece of bar that's made out of mild steel. My question is regarding whether the mild steel will be strong enough to not bend. I believe the bar is at most 1/4" thick, and 2 inches wide. I saw a blacksmith in Florida at the Medieval Times show that had made a sword from the same size stock, but high carbon steel. There was some flex, but not enough to actually bend the steel to a different shape.

Hey Rantalin,
It is my experience that mild steel is not good for any type of blade, unless its just a showpiece....and even then I think that the worth of any piece has alot to do with the functionality of it. That bar would probably be better used as a plant-hanger, or a neat coat rack or whatever. I would bet a tank of propane that your bar will bend pretty badly as a blade, you can make it look pretty but I'd say thats about it.
Of course, this is all my guess-work and opinion so you can do whatever. But my two-bits worth is to make a nice coat-rack for your girl. :P

The first and only sword i'v ever made was out of a piece of 1/4' by 1,1/2' mild steel. its about as long as my arm, and it doesn't bend at all. But, Its not like i'v ever "tested' it to see if it would work.

The question is, Why do want a sword? What are you going to do with it? And a little less importantly, Are you willing to put all that work into something thats probably gonna hang on your wall or sit in your closet?

Swords are fun , dont get me wrong. But they take alot of work to look good.

-Andrei

I want the sword, because I collect sword and other non-gunpowder weaponry. I get frustrated at the lack of quality that I get from these mostly decorative pieces that I order. They just don't have the durability I'm looking for in a sword. So instead, I've decided to make one of my own. I have the equipment necessary to make a sowrd, its just a matter of trying it. I'm not one of those kids who wants to make a sword and swing it around wildly. I have about 30+ blades that are all well taken care of.

Rantalin, get some decent-condition leaf spring and use that. For the amount of effort you want to put in you'd be much better off working with something that'd actually make a functional blade. I notice that you mention "durability" -- do you think that mild steel will meet your standards in this department?

I know that mild steel isn't a good metal for blades, due to the low carbon content. Right now, its all I have to work with. The only dump nearby doesn't allow people to take or buy the "junk" thats already in there. By durability, I meant that the sword was poorly assembled, with pieces falling off or being loose. I'm not really looking for somethign that'll withstand the heat of battle, yet. For now I just want something I show show as my own that won't fall apart when I pick it up.

I have made several "Wall Hanger" swords from mild steel. If all you want is a decorative sword then mild steel will work fine. Making a sword out of mild steel will give you much needed practice in working a long piece of steel and keeping is straight. Then, when and if you ever decide to make the real thing, you will have your experiences to draw upon.

Just remember that what you have made is for decoration purposes only but some of your less than enlightened friends my have the urge to pick it up and swing it and if someone is accidentally hit in the head with a dull mild steel sword, they are apt to be just as dead as if they had their personality split by a real razor sharp sword. That said, go have fun create, and learn.

Woody

Some years ago, my youngest son wanted a Roman style short sword so I helped him make one from mild steel. It came out looking fine but bent and dinged badly when he hit anything hard - although it cut weeds and cactus until he finally got tired of it and went on to other toys...

Rantalin, heck with the dump then -- go visit auto repair shops and automotive junkyards (as opposed to garbage dumps), and talk to them. You may want to ask the junkyards about "orphan" leaf springs -- single springs without mates, which are not worth much.

thats interesting bruce. My dad has my grandfather's WWII knife that I hope to add to my collection at some point. Mild steel is the best I have to work with right now, so I guess the best I can do is give it a shot and see what happens. I'm also going to try making some spearheads and spears out of mild steel.

Rantalin

If you want to get your hands on leaf spring, or other car parts, you can probably get this from the right car junk yard. Some junk yards don't sell parts, they sell cars, and they don't want you taking parts off of their cars. But you can probably find a junk yard that sells parts. You want to find one where they let you go out there and get the parts yourself, and loan you the tools to do it with.

If you are doing straight stock removal you probably want to buy straight leaf spring stock from a local business that makes leaf springs---check the yellow pages. If you are nice they might even be willing to give it a spring heat treat after you are done.

*I live in NM, the largest town in the entire county is 9,000 people and it's a big county! I can find the stuff out here. If you can't find it in a "thickly settled" area you need to hunt more.

Thomas