I Forge Iron

hello all

Thanks for the welcome.

I primarly have been fabricating my work with a little blacksmithing touches here and there. I am trying to increase my blacksmithing skills to build gates with traditional techniqes.

I would also like to apologias ahead of time for my poor spelling. Spell checker laughs at me!

I built a cnc plasma cutting table and use it to cut my door strap designs, weathervanes, signs, brackets etc.

I have a background in industrial automation and have been blacksmithing as a hobby for about 10 years on and off. Mostly OFF! It is hard to find a good time to run a coal forge in town without making the neighbors mad. I fire up the forge in the winter months when everyone is at work and the rain knocks down the smell some.

I know exactly what you are saying. With a coal forge, I find that most evening don't allow enough time to get things going. And it seems some weekends the family want me to spend time with them too. :)

So, I've started looking into getting a gas forge. Anyone with suggestions of a cheap and easy to operate gas forge. Let me know.

Thanks

Operation of a gasser is usually cheaper than a solid fuel forge unless you live close to a coal supplier.

There are lots of BPs for building one and probably more threads about building gassers and burners. A little searching of IFI will give you lots of reading material and several sets of plans.

Frosty