I Forge Iron

Splitting high carbon flat stock

Don A

Don
You ask how I would do it. Best way for me would be to cut it into pieces 1/2 the lenght I need then draw it to the needed size with my 40 # bradley power hammer. I live in a rural area and I often need stock I don't have in stock. The nearest steel supply is over 1 hour away. Every week I will make the stock I need from shafting I have saved from other projects. This will allow you to make the exact size stock with out loss from a saw kerf.

find a place that has a shear and see if they can shear it... if its anealed stock that should be possable with the right shear .. 1.5 inch isnt a bad size for knifes tho .. what tools do you have ? do you have power hammer ? what are you going to make with it ? how critical is the 3/4 measurement? you could cut with torch or plasma .... if it was my steel ide just forge it out as needed under hammer..... good luck!

Not for knives, by the way.

I am considering a job that would require a relatively large quantity of fire steels (flint strikers).

3/4" stock to start with would free me up to be more productive instead of spending a lot of time forging down thinkness (no power hammer here).

Thanks for the suggestions.

Anybody know where you can buy 1095 in 3/4" widths "off the shelf".

Admiral will shear it, but with a substantial cost increase.

Don

Don you might try some of the places selling w1 or o1 its real close to what 1095 is and seems to come in a wider variety of sizes ...as far as that goes just about any of the simpler aloys will work for strikers (5160 ,1084 ect). can you show a picture of your strikers ? i injoy seeing a bunch of different types and have made quite a few. good luck!

not much as far as i can tell .... w stands for water hardening and the 1 stands for 1 % carbon. ive used it for strikers in the past and it worked well ..i still hardened it in oil the difference between w1 and o1 has to do with expandtion and contraction in heat treating which wont make any difference in makeing a striker but if you are makeing a precision part it can be real inportant! i quit useing dril rod when i found that garage door springs worked so well and i could get them free! I just sut then into a 4 inch section of coils heat to red or yellow place over a pipe held in my vice grab one end with a pair of tongs and pull!!! straightens right out and now you have a rod of spring steel ready to forge....

The W indicates it is technically a tool steel. That means it is suppose to have tighter tolerences on the alloying elements. For W-1 the specification if memory serves is 60-100 points carbon (you can specify the what you want, 100 points seems common) any other elements in W-1 are suppose to be kept to a minimum. Other W series can have other elements (W-2 for instance has a bit of Vanadium). The specification for 1095 is 90-105 points carbon. The principle difference between W-1 with about 100 points carbon and 1095 as I understand it is that 1095 can have a higher amount of Manganese (added to most or maybe all steels during the smelting to take up sulfur as I understand it).
And if you don't know 100 points carbon equals 1%.

ron