I Forge Iron

Open Die forging on Big hammer

YouTube - 2T forging hammer.WMV

This video is "somewhat" similar to were I first took my apprenticeship. The hammers I worked with were chambersburg style hammers and were steam operated. However the process was the same. We had operators, called "Hammer Drivers" that controlled the hammer the same as the fellow running the one in this video. Our hammers were 1,000, 1500 and 3000 pound hammers driven by 250 lbs of steam pressure with a stroke of about two feet on the smaller ones to about six feet on the large one. This significantly increased the effective weight of the hammer.

On the small hammers there was one Blacksmith, one helper and the hammer driver. On the big hammer it was one Blacksmith two helpers and the hammer driver.If you notice in the video ther was one man doing the actual forging and you can see him nodding his head. This is the form of communication between the blacksmith, who controls everything, and the hammer driver. Each time he nodded his head the hammer driver would strike the hammer.

There were several signals that the blacksmith would use to control the forging operation. We would nod our head once to signal the hammer driver to begin striking. If we nodded our heads again he would increase the strength of the blow on the forging. Moving the head from side to side would signal him to give lighter blows.Lifting the head upward once would signal to stop striking. If you held your arm out straight,palm down, it would signal the driver to bring the hammer head down softly to "feel" the work and determine were the hammer head touches and to insure any tools held by the helper were sitting flat on the die or work. Holding the arm out, palm down, then lowering the arm slowly, would signal the driver to lower the hammer head, then increase the steam pressure and press down on the forging to either start a bend or to hold the forging and tools in place on the die.

The helpers job was to hold the various tools required to perform the forging operation, such as stop blocks to create a precise thickness of forging, or swage blocks when forging round bars. We also used large flatters, "necking down tools" and a variety of other tools as required. The Blacksmith determined what tools were needed for the job and the helpers would make sure they were all at the hammer for the Blacksmiths use.

Two helpers were needed on the large hammer as most forgings done on there were quite large and required the use of chain falls and an endless chain to support the weight of the forging while the Blacksmith worked it under the hammer. The other helper would be using the stop blocks or swages as required under the hammer dies and the Blacksmith had to watch all aspects of the job and control everyone and ensure their safety all at the same time. It certainly was a challenging and interesting time!:o

I took my apprenticeship back in the 80's. It was at a major steel producing company where I lived at the time. It was a fully integrated steel mill, with coke making,iron making, steel making and of course all the finishing mills. I was already working at the plant as a millwright helper when they posted the job.

I had to write a mechanical aptitude test when I applied and must have done well on it (they never give you your results) as they offered me a choice of apprenticeships. I could have taken Blacksmith, Tin Smith, Rigger, Boilermaker, Machinist or welder. The Blacksmith really appealed to me and I chose it. They had a large self contained shops unit where all the trades were based for the plant.

The forge shop I worked in had five Blacksmith's, six helpers and three hammer drivers. We made all the overhead crane hooks for the plant ranging from 5 ton capacity up to 100 ton capacity (the largest forged hook).We also forged guides for mill stands, Large clevises, bolts, Heavy duty wrecking and pry bars, heavy duty cold cuts for the millwrights, gear blanks for the Machine shops and numerous other things( to extensive a list for here!).

Working conditions were not too bad. Hot of course especially on the big hammer with the large forgings produced there(Crane hooks etc). We had full safety gear and anything else we thought we would need for safety.The compensation was good. It paid the best money of any other industry in town and good benefits.

Unfortunately the plant took a big downturn in the late 80's and there were massive lay-offs. The shops got cut way back and at the time I was the junior Blacksmith in the forgeso I got laid off too.I was out of work for two years and was going back to school when I found another Blacksmith job at another plant down where I live now. As fate would have it, after 22 years at this plant I finished my shift on Friday and there was a note in my mailbox the next morning saying the plant was closed as of that day!

I took my pension money, invested it, and semi-retired at age 57. I now just work from my own forge here at home. I am thank-full that I had the opportunity to learn the trade from some real Masters. It gave me the opportunity to do things that most other Blacksmiths never have a chance to try.I got a thorough education in forging, heat treating and metallurgy as well as welding.

I will work at the trade as long as I can simply for the love of it and when I can't do it physically any longer I hope to be able to pass on what I have learned to others.

I guess the one thing that comes naturally to me is going on about things in this trade. At least according to the wife I do!:D

Sorry for being so long winded:o

Terry

Mike,

It was interesting at the steel plant. If you work maintenance (such as millwright) or helper in my case, you get to see all the different dept. at one time or another. I was in every dept. of the plant at one time or another so I have seen all steps in steel making from coke making, to iron making,Steel making casting, rolling and finishing. You learn a LOT when you get to see the whole process all the way through and it gives you a good understanding of steel and it's properties.I don't know if steel mills still have tours like they did years ago, but if you ever get the chance to go on one it is worth it, even for the bit you might get to see.

Terry

Terry,
it's my opinion that one of the key values of a site like this is it's ability to allow folks who are interested in the craft the chance to 'meet' and 'talk' to time served gents like yourself.
One of my best mates in Oz went through a very similar education and it's a joy to sit and listen to him talk about what he did (and indeed still does). At the end of the day IMHO you will find NO greater source of USEFUL information on Smithing than a chance to sit and talk with a time served man. If he is willing to actually show you some things then you are looking at a 24 carat gold education. I still consider myself incredibly fortunate to have met and worked alongside such people.
Please post whatever stories or tales you see fit, the simple fact is most of us here will NEVER have the experience that you did and unless you share it then it gathers dust and may be lost. That would be tragic. Here at least you can leave a trail of breadcrumbs that those with the gumption can follow and benefit from.

Terry,
Your post indicates a willingness to pass on your hard earned knowledge, and the content appears worthy of much much more elaboration. Have you ever considered writing it all down? I for one, see a ton of potential in your post, and the desire for more is apparent in those comments that followed your post. Old pics and stories just gathered together, could easily take on a life of their own and fill out a nice journal, or novel or just a " tales at the hammer" thing. On the nights where you are sitting and realizing the content on tv is such garbage, not worthy of watching, that is the time I go to the word processor and ramble. Please consider it, we need what is in your head!!

Thank you all for your kind comments:p
Mike and Ian,
I will write some of my past experiences down and post them! I have a tendency to ramble on about these things (as the wife points out frequently when I have someone interested in the trade listening...lol) but it would seem that at least on here no one will complain about me being long winded!:D
Now that winter is upon us here in the great white north ( and yes, other than the discovery channel, there isn't much worthwhile on tv), I guess I could come up with some "Tall Tales" of my past experiences. I have seen and done a lot over the course of my career and you are right, if not shared they will just gather dust in my mind and go to waste.

Stay tuned for the next episode!...LOL

Terry

I agree with Mike. My family were originaly coopers in my hometown in England, a man called Kilby wrote a book called the coopers trade, which is realy my only contact with the trade, I have a full set of coopers tools, and although I earn a living as a woodworker the coopers "art" is only one step off sorcery. I worked at a large chain and anchor makers for a while, it's gone now after 270 odd years. I wish I had had the foresight to make a record of the "old hands musings", some photographs remain - but once the personal account is gone, it's gone for good - Brown Lennox made the chain for the SS Great Britain, the first Iron suspension bridge, Titanic, as well as the anchors. All gone for ever, please don't let that happen to Terrys story.
paul

As said already, tales from the old timers are precious things no matter the trade, experience, etc.

I've plans for several comfy chairs around the wood stove in my shop just for old timers to hang out and spin yarns on a winter's day. I don't know if I'll get many takers but I'm hoping.

Frosty

I am sure you will get a lot of takers on that one Frosty. You have a lot to offer in your own right as well as being a good listener, as is obvious on your numerous posts here. I know that if I ever have the chance to be up your way that I would definitely drop in. After all, I might be in the need of a bite to eat and perhaps a little nap!:D

Terry