I Forge Iron

rail road post vise history?

I have a post vise with stampings on it, does anyone have any history info on this particular one or this Address? NYCRR 133 ATTORNEY ST. GOLDIE. This one needs a little work. Can anyone tell me how to fix jaws or make a jig for inside jaws to straighten. This one the jaw is starting to seperate on one side. What alterations have you done for your vise? Just curious. Iv'e been sitting on this one debating whether or not to change it.

Here is a URL that may be useful to you. Blacksmith Vises
Just for your information in case you are not aware of it.
As a rule of thumb you will find that people use the term “Post Vice interchangeably with “Leg Vice”.
I mention that so when you do your research it will help broaden you searches to use both terms.
Good Luck
Ted Throckmorton

Here is a URL that may be useful to you. Blacksmith Vises
Just for your information in case you are not aware of it.
As a rule of thumb you will find that people use the term “Post Vice interchangeably with “Leg Vice”.
I mention that so when you do your research it will help broaden you searches to use both terms.
Good Luck
Ted Throckmorton

URL is exceptional, saved for reference. learned alittle on my small vices too. Thanks Again

a jig for straightening the jaws is quite simple, first get a piece of half inch barstock......thats it. clamp it in the small side and gently tighten slightly past parallel. if it doesn't move don't force it. that worked on my main forging vice but i had to heat the other one in the forge for it to go straight.