I Forge Iron

Flint Striker

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Use old files... Nicholson / Black Diamond, etc.

Forge to final shape.

Use sandpaper or something similar to clean the striking edge to bright.

Heat to critical (non-magnetic) and edge quench in water.

Leave dead-hard... don't draw any temper.

Polish the edge back to bright.

Use a good flint.

Should be plenty of sparks.

Good luck,

Don

Phil, I have had better luck with coil spring (high carbon). I just made a couple of batches, the spring usually takes less forging to get to shape. I forge, reheat to transition temp., let cool slowly in ash overnight, file the face of the striker flat and then hit it with a farrier's rasp to roughen it a bit, then reheat to transition temp. and quench in oil (just the face).

Good topic here. I have seen many of these made and shown here on IFI. Never have made one myself, but would like to someday. I have (literally) a half-ton of coil spring steel for stock. Maybe I need to research them some more, but exactly how are they used.

Do you strike the flint against them, or the striker against the flint?

And, where do you get the flint stone at?

Someone please clarify this for me.

I run batches of strikers out of 3/8 heavy duty garage door spring with excellent results. Face quench only shine that puppy up nice and smooth on the striking face. You are slicing off small bits of steel with your flint each time you strike and the smooth face works far better that a rough one. I strike the steel against the flint in a motion that I just can't describe but could teach you in about a minute and a half. About any stone that would have been knapped into a tool (flint, jasper, quartzite and a bunch of others ) will strike sparks. The stone has to be harder than the steel and well sharpened.

Finnr

Just wanted to give an update.
Using old files for stock to make the strikers produces a pretty good quality striker. Very spark-o-riffic. (yes that is a real word). Now, breaking the material down into a desirable size is a bit tedious. It might be a suprise to some of you that files are pretty tough!
I am going to try some spring stock tomorrow and see how well that works out.

I have been forging the piece to shape, then dressing the striking sirface on the rough stone of my bench grinder. Then, I harden the face (see earlier in this thread), then wire wheel the whole thing. After that, I rub the face of the striker (by hand) against a belt of rough sand paper. I think it is like 80 grit. In the end , the face has a smooth but scuffed up appearance.

Now, breaking the material down into a desirable size is a bit tedious. It might be a suprise to some of you that files are pretty tough!

Are you sure that you are getting it hot enough to forge?
I have found files to be extremely easy under the hammer compared to some of the more alloyed "spring steels".

And "amen" to Finnr... your sparks are burning steel, not bits of flint.
A rough edge is only going to grind your flint down quicker.
Keep it smooth and bright.