I Forge Iron

Friction folder?

MetalMuncher

Hello all. I have been wanting to make a folding knife and have come up with a small one. Nothing fancy, just slabs of iron, the blade and rivets. When I peened the main rivet(the one the blade rotates on) I peened it a little too hard. And it actually came out prety cool, because there was some friction. Now, are there any other methods that work by friction? Is there a better way? Sorry there are no pics, my camera broke. Thanks dudes!!

P.S- Any pictures or illustrations would be awsome!!

This is one I made after MS Terry Vandeventer did a demo. I think the hardest part of this is cutting the slot in the antler and getting it straight. This one has a brass pin and some little copper washers under the pin where it is peened. 100_1087.JPG

This is indeed called a friction folder if you do a search you will find a lot of different styles of them. This one was made from cable. The original "pocket knife". I have only made three or four of these. Thanks for the kind words.

It helps to have shim stock. I use shim stock wedged in between the blade and handle, usually bone which moves a little with humidity. When done hammering, remove the shim and that is the space you have. Shim size is dependent on material used. When I use bone, I like the joint tight because the handle will most likely shrink or swell. I have to agree with LDW on getting the slot straight. I hope I provided some insight.

Here is a pic of my first folder: a Shepherds Cross.

9965.attach

9966.attach

9967.attach

This is one I made after MS Terry Vandeventer did a demo. I think the hardest part of this is cutting the slot in the antler and getting it straight. This one has a brass pin and some little copper washers under the pin where it is peened. 100_1087.JPG

Very good looking folder!! More pics please,,,