I Forge Iron

Pattison 100lb

In Chicago there is this power hammer, and before I got back with the guy to dscuss the potential price (listed at 5750 USD) , I figured I'd ask you all about it. It doesn't appear to have any dies, and I am ASSUMING it works, bt I'll try to confirm both things. Is it already a bust at that price?

pattison3.jpg
pattison1.jpg
pattison2.jpg

Edited by JosephPrivott

It looks like a solidly built machine with no obvious damage or missing parts other than the dies.
Realize that there are no new mechanical hammers being made,so what is out there now is all there is.
Check it out thoroughly for structural cracks , missing parts and dangerously worn connections. These things can be rebuilt by someone with the right skills and equipment to give another generation of service.
The price might be on the higher end , figure you'd put at least $2-4,000 into getting it moved, set up and and running. Bob Bergman at Postville Blacksmith Shop can make new dies at a fair price for any type of hammer.
If I needed another hammer in this range , I'd seriously consider this one.
As for the tooth knockers, anyone that runs a spring action hammer [ particularly of the larger sizes ] without a well designed guard is asking for trouble IMHO.
If you get it , keep it well oiled, mechanicals love lubrication.

I would only consider this hammer if I were collecting antique hammers. This may last a very long time and possibly longer than you will live. However, it will take more to time move it, set it up and get into running condition than expected. Especially if you have to travel a day or two to go get it, it could take nearly as long to move it and set it up as if you were to build a new hammer. There are many other options that are much more versatile, especially new. After owning (moving it twice) and running a 100 pound Bradley Compact for 10 years (full time, no offense intended to the part time smiths,) I do not regret selling that old wonderfully built industrial machine for my self contained air hammer from Tom Clark (God rest his soul.) Within minutes, I did not regret the move. After a few years, I was fortunate enough to buy a second self contained air hammer from Tom. While the start up cost may seem high, Tom's hammers are ready to plug in and work! If you have the electric plug ready, the only other thing you will need to do to a concrete floor is put a few holes in the floor around the hammer to keep it from walking. Yes you can get more involved with a fancy foundation, etc. but it really is not necessary. Even if I had the room, I would not consider buying any other hammer than a self contained hammer from the Ozark School of Blacksmithing