I Forge Iron

Hi from caldwell idaho.

muddog13

Hi there i am not a black smith but my wife and i are wanting to learn . so i thought i would join a room with a bunch of pepole that know what thay are doing and just maybe if i ask the rite things i might just learn some thing. or talent might rub off on me (lol). so here i am with the disire. but disire dose not go far with out tools so i guess i am also looking for tool's. any ideas would be grate. every one had to start some where!

Welcome muddog, here is a great place to get started Getting Started Later you can find the link on the home page. You'll find lots of info here, WARNING though, you'll want to pack a lunch and a tall beverage before starting in. Also if you have not heard blacksmithing can be an addictive habit.

Look forward to seeing you around IFI...

James

muddog13,welcome to Iforgeiron!
Don't let a 'lack of tools' keep you from smithing.
Nearly everything you need to get started can be improvised from available stuff, or you can make it yourself.

A large chunk or iron can serve as an anvil
A hammer.....well, you can find one of those....
Something to serve as tongs
Something to hold a fire
Something to use as fuel

Blacksmithing is a GREAT journey!
Enjoy!

Hello from Wisconsin. The best way to learn is to start and then ask LOTS of questions. A good bit of research beforehand is also a big help. You cane to the right place to find More information than you could use in several lifetimes.
Welcome to IFI.
Finnr

Welcome aboard Muddog.

you'll find plenty of advice here, most of us don't mind relating a bit of info on occasion.

If you'll click on "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show where you are us old farts won't have to try remembering. Remembering is just too much work when there are naps to be had and nice warm lunches to be eaten.

Seriously, you'll discover there are probably folk living close enough to give you a hand personally.

Frosty