I Forge Iron

why does my LP tank ice up

jimbob

The release of pressurized lpg makes it cold. The more that is released the more chilly it becomes. Most of the time I have seen this is with the smaller bottles. If you run a multiple burner forge from one of those it may freeze up. A couple of things may work; Use a bigger tank, or you can put the bottle in water, That will raise the temp of tank to somewhere near the temperature of the water. Warm water may make it a little more efficient, I dont use hot water. Another way is to turn your forge off beteens forgeing. The inside of the forge should light it back up by opening the valve. This works best if you are not forge small or thin items and your work willhold heat for a bit longer forgeing time. Last thought is to reduce the flow, lower the delivered pressure or fewer burners. One of my forges is a two burner and when it reaches heat I shut one of the burners off. Have fun

Im running a two burnner whisper momma the tank is the next size larger that what you get with a BBQ outfit...I've had it for several years and never had the problem until yesterday when my son was making pigtail steak turners ...I don't know if he had it turned on higher that what I normally use

Propane and other liquified gases are kept in liquid state by a combination of temperature and pressure. The release of pressure from the tank caused the temperature of the liquid to drop. Propane boils at -44 degrees F. By drawing on the tank too fast you can cool the temperature of the liquid down to below the boiling point and although there is still propane in the tank little if any gas will come out and it will appear that the tank is empty. The cooler the ambient temperature the easier it is to do this. In the winter time if I am welding up a Damascus Billet, I have to put my propane tank in a garbage can of water in order to keep the liquid propane warm enough to develop enough pressure to reach welding temperature.