I Forge Iron

Hello from Southern Oregon

FrankG

Welcome aboard Frank. glad to have you.

Do you have anything specific in mind to apply the blacksmith's craft to? We're pretty handy about answering specific questions, the range of knowledge available here is literally stunning. In the same manner if you hear a question you can answer just jump on in.

If you'll click on "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location us old farts won't forget where you are in case we're in the neighborhood and need a nap or free dinner.

Seriously, there are undoubtably folk in your area that can lend a hand directly if they know you're there. Heck, there's probably been half a dozen guys in S. Or sign up just recently.

Frosty

Thank you for the welcome ! My intrests range from forged parts for flintlock rifle building , knife and hawks . I will also need to learn how to make tongs fixtures and eventually a power hammer of some kind .
Blacksmithing has always intrigued me after watching a smith make a hawk for me while I waited and watched the process from start to finish including forge welding the tool steel bit in the mallable head .
I have aquired and piece mealed an old farrier forge back to usable condition and built a larger 3'x4' forge with a tuyre made of 3/4" steel with plans I found on line . I just built it because ,I guess . The little farriers forge would do for all that I need . I've also aquired a couple 90 lb. anvils and a few tongs and a 4" post vise .

I'll quit chattering now :)

Well, nice to see you here. I post on Don's site as R.K. Nichols. We have conversed on Don's site.

Nice.
I like this site, although I mostly lurk here.
Lots of good stuff in the archives. The alchemy and formulas, is right up my alley, so to speak.

A little off topic, but someone said you can't throw a dirt clod in Oregon without hitting a smith.;)
We need a giant hammer-in here. I'd volunteer, but I only have an acre.

Well, it must be nice to be surrounded by like-minded people. I lived in western TN for 3 years and never met another smith within 50 miles of me. I live in Houston now and there is a great group of smiths in the HABA organization. It is sort of like "be careful what you wish for" because now I am associated with some very talented smiths who never fail to humble me with what they can do. But it is a great learning experience. This site is that way.

someone said you can't throw a dirt clod in Oregon without hitting a smith.;) We need a giant hammer-in here. I'd volunteer, but I only have an acre.

Come on out to one of the NWBA's conferences (if you haven't already). We hold two conferences during the spring and Fall It's a great group of folks.

Check out our website: Home Page

Howdy Frank, Give me a call if you want, I'm an instructor with the California Blacksmith assoc. I'd be happy to have you come by sometime. Look in the phone book for 'Olene Machine', that's me. I live east of town in, you guessed it, Olene.