I Forge Iron

Help please

i was using galvinized metal in my forge to cover the holes in the bottom.
i was forging like that for about a week and today i learned that the fumes can kill me! ive been acheing all over and having bad headaches and ive been realy sick at my stomach. what do i need to do?:(

i would contact a doctor or hospital i don'tknow in kentucky but in jersey we have info lines at the hospital i think its called here ask a nurse you can call them and they can give some advice but if you think its from the galvinized i wouldn't waint i would contact some as soon as posable .galvinized when heated will give off yellowish smoke i have welded lots of galvinized but i have resperator and still stay down wind of it

Burning Zinc fumes are a big time hazmat and in sufficnet quanity are deadly. The milk theory sounds good and works well for occasional outside exposure such as welding or burning, outside. However, concentrated inhaliation of zinc fumes will kill you or at the least, contribute to serious debilating respiratory issues. See a doc and avoid zinc fumes, no kidding, get this one right. Metal working is no fun if it kills you. Be smart and be safe.
Peter

The people posting on this site have a responsibility to pass along FACTS not rumor and folklore when it comes to health and safety issues. Milk is not an antidote for exposure to zinc fumes. Never has been and never will be. Yet, every time someone mentions exposure to zinc fumes several of these ill informed individuals pass on what "some old welder told them years ago". I think it is time for this site to make a "sticky" out of welding galvanized etc. It seems this subject comes up every couple weeks.

Metal Fume Fever and Heavy Metal Poisoning are nothing to mess with. If you think you have the symptoms SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION IMMEDIATELY. Drink the milk if you must but all it will do is quench your thirst. If you have been exposed to the fumes you are poisoned and no amount of milk will change that.

I agree, my Dad did the milk thing, but we didn't know what we know now, I believe there have been many 'smiths succumb to years of zinc, who thought "it will be alright".
Go to the Doctor or ER NOW! I wouldn't risk permanent damage or death to milk. I think the source of that is milk produces phlem and will help "clear out the lungs", but the lungs are the gateway to the bloodstream, even a milk IV will not get the heavy poisonous Zinc out of your system.

Go to the doctor and drink the milk when you get back if it makes you feel better.