I Forge Iron

Anvils

hi i was wondering if any one had some old used anvils they dont use any more or are clutering up there shop. i do have an anvil but it is a cheap harbor freight one has dents all over and the horn is oval and flat. im not the richest person in the world so it might be a bit before i can buy one from some one but i really want to end my search for a new anvil.

Yes asking for something like this without giving an indication *where* is pretty much a waste of time; you could be be in South Carolina, South Dakota, South America, South Africa, Southeast Asia,... and unless you are willing to pay hundreds of dollars to ship heavy iron/steel you probably want something local.

I'd go looking for a fork lift tine or other heavy piece of steel like a broken coupler of a RR car; not too many smiths have "unwanted" anvils...

i have over the years given several anvil away free to help young folk on there way towards getting set up with a workshop, they have all worked on a hearth in my smithy ether doing there own thing and i have lent them a hearth or they have helped me with jobs ,all are still doing some smithy work ,and one is full time ,i have enjoyed helping ,perhaps if you show some aptitude and work along with a smith and earn your anvil ,and for the meantime a block of steel or even a sledge hammer head ,will get you started.

Sam, I have a couple of spares. You can take your pick if you are willing to collect them. They are each about 280 pounds- one is a single bick London pattern the other is a double bick. A tree stump comes free as well complete with the necessaries to anchor the anvil down and an upsetting plate with the single bick one. How's that for an unbeatable offer? Might even throw in a free hardy. I cannot organise transport. You must collect.

Sorry about the location, i did fill out my profile but for some reason my computer did not alow it to take but ill try again. I live in iowa along the mississippi. and philip thanks for the offer but there is no way i can get to china to pick it up.