I Forge Iron

Looking for non galvanized barbed wire

CBrann

Looking for non galvanized barbed wire for a pattern welding project. I don't want to deal with the zinc oxide/ metal poisoning hazard, and higher success rate with welding from cleaner starting point.

Yes I know I can strip it off with hydrochloric acid, but I don't want that much acid around, and I have no safe storage area.

I have been working with steel wire rope, but that was unsatisfying because the blades would twist during hardening and tempering. So I figure high carbon wire, forge welded, but not twisted would be cool looking and unique.

feel free to email
skitzo5@hotmail.com

There are some "high tensil barbwires out there that say they are "higher carbon"; but I would guess that they are really just medium carbon---higher than the low carbon common barbwire; but not of any level to make a knife from expecially if you will be welding it up.

Sort of like RR spikes where a "HC" rr spike is at most at the very bottom border of medium carbon steel

I've welded up very old very rusty barbwire for a basket hook and it was a pain in the rusted condition. Next time I will de-rust first.

Only way to get it un-galvanized new might be to contact the manufacturer; but even then they might be using pregalvanized stock.

You think that manufacturers start with galvanized stock? I thought it would be wound, and fabricated, then galvanized.

I work with RR spikes a lot, and yes I have also read that HC stamped would only rate as a mid carbon for knives, but is really good for flex and tensile. And really unless you doing a super hard super strong tactical military knife I find that they hold a decent edge. Also some of the old RR spikes are made of puddle steel, so carbon tracings show up when you grind and polish.

As I said I got the idea from a TV show I saw couple years ago, the guy on the show welded a big pile of barbed wire, to make the top plate of a garden gate.

Trying to experiment with pattern welding various things, to see if I can come up with a unique product.

Sneak out at night, find a rusty barb wire fence, pull the staples, roll up the wire, try to make it back to town before the sheriff shows up. :) Actually a couple months ago when we were doing some sod removal and leveling at the neighborhood playground we found a big roll of rusty barb wire that had been buried for about 20 years, too bad we tossed it in the dumpster.

I'd think "de-rusting" barbwire would be as much a pain as de-galvanizing... but if you are interested in old barbwire, I suggest taking a drive out in the country, look for a farm with either a brand new fence (who will probably have the old rolled up and tossed in a holler) or a farm that looks like it has been out of commission for a few years... I have offered a few places to take down feed lots free of charge for the panels and gates... I have found some that have been happy to be able to mow it all down without the hassle of the old fence lines... sort of like anything else, ya don't know till ya ask...

BEWARE of Cadmium it is much more dangerous than metal galvanized with zinc. When heated Cadmium gives off extremely toxic fumes. 29CFR1910.146 OSHA Confined Space Regulations have a special cavaet about welding with cadmium containing rods in confined spaces that states:

"Note: Some materials – hydrogen fluoride gas and cadmium vapor, for example – may produce immediate transient effects that, even if severe, may pass without medical attention, but are followed by sudden, possibly fatal collapse 12-72 hours after exposure. The victim "feels normal" from recovery from transient effects until collapse. Such materials in hazardous quantities are considered to be "immediately" dangerous to life or health."

ThomasPowers--- Hadn't thought about the decarburization factor. I can get all the high carbon I want form junk yard or other places. I have 2 9' cutting edges off a snow plow.

The whole point of this search was to get an interesting pattern, All I want is something that looks cool and is unique.

It occurs to me that no body does his because its pointless/ implausible.

OK interesting patterns I have seen done: lathe swarf, chainmail, the control cables from a lawnmower and Billy Merrit welding up almost any random things you might find...

One trick is to do san mai so you don't have to worry about the carbon content of the junk you weld up for a pattern.

BEWARE of Cadmium it is much more dangerous than metal galvanized with zinc. When heated Cadmium gives off extremely toxic fumes. 29CFR1910.146 OSHA Confined Space Regulations have a special cavaet about welding with cadmium containing rods in confined spaces that states:

"Note: Some materials

Japanese term for a common world wide historical method---3 layer sandwich small high carbon in the middle and beefier low carbon sides, cheaper when high carbon steel is expensive and lets you harden the edge more as the "soft" material helps keep it from breaking in use.

Note the alloy being higher does not mean that it will be very high... Like "high Carbon" RR spikes that at *most* are at the lowest boundery of medium carbon---.3% C but are higher than the old regular spikes...

cbrann i looked up the wire at tractor supply and they are saying its low carbon and zinc plated as for it being a High Tension wire i know tenision wire used on chain link fence is real soft can cut it with wire cuters ant its at least 1/8 inch and it says tension on it so i guess that doesn't make it high carbon though there is a lot of highcarbon junk metal out there chains be the most i know of