I Forge Iron

Brisinger.. Eragon series, possible spoiler, rant.. smith related

RainsFire

I just finished.. the 3rd book in the series, (started em back when it was socially acceptable for my age group) basically just for the sword smithing "scene".. long story short, (get it :P) I ended up on the chapter where his sword is being smithed, and was sorely dissapointed by the author's rip off of "Craft of the Japanese sword" almost exactly, he copied the processes described for the creation of a Katana in that book, down to the san mai (don't know proper term) sandwiching of the core and edge steels, and creation of hamon line.

he even messed up, not knowing that the laminating of two steels was for a single edged sword, not a double edged euro sword..

anyway, if anyone knows what I'm talking about.. discuss :) please

I'm xxxxxx that he pulled the bait and switch, it's supposed to be a three book series, and of course, due to the great sales, it somehow is being stretched out, I've had enough of this stuff after Robert Jordans never ending wheel of time stuff. The kid is amazing for his age, but obviously he bowed to the publishers pressure. Try reading "The Skystone" great smithing language, great beginning story.

I nearly didn't get started on "The Sword of Shame" as in the starting pages it mentioned that the fellow became a smith cause he wanted to work alone instead of being a farmer and having to work with others. Yes rather than be plowing a multi acre field with only 1 other person leading the oxen he would be more alone in a 20x20 shop with at least 3 to 5 other people there all the time!

If you look in books like "Knives and Scabbards, Museum of London" you will find an entire classification system based on how the steel and iron were joined for european blades. San mai is only one of the ways they did it.

It was just weird, I would think that an author would want to throw some new elements into a proccess for creating what is supposed to be the most supreme weapon ever created instead of just directly recounting what the book had described in how the Japanese smiths make a Katana.

Maybe he has a bad cas of katanaophile-itis, and thinks the katana IS the most supreme weapon ever created, like quite a few people I know......:cool:

FACT: Christopher was fifteen when he wrote the first draft of Eragon. He took a second year to revise the book and then gave it to his parents to read. The family decided to self-publish the book and spent a third year preparing the manuscript for publication: copyediting, proofreading, designing a cover, typesetting the manuscript, and creating marketing materials. During this time Christopher drew the map for Eragon, as well as the dragon eye for the book cover (that now appears inside the Knopf hardcover edition). The manuscript was sent to press and the first books arrived in November 2001. The Paolini family spent the next year promoting the book at libraries, bookstores, and schools in 2002 and early 2003.

In summer 2002, author Carl Hiaasen, whose stepson read a copy of the self-published book while on vacation in Montana, brought Eragon to the attention of his publisher, Alfred A. Knopf Books For Young Readers, an imprint of Random House Children’s Books. Michelle Frey, executive editor at Knopf, contacted Christopher and his family to ask if they might be interested in having Knopf publish Eragon. The answer was yes, and after another round of editing, Knopf published Eragon in August 2003.

This is an excerpt from Chris' web site, Please be careful whom you accuse of getting facts wrong, with out checking yourself. it can make one look very silly.

• 3 months later...
It was just weird, I would think that an author would want to throw some new elements into a proccess for creating what is supposed to be the most supreme weapon ever created instead of just directly recounting what the book had described in how the Japanese smiths make a Katana.

Uhm...yeah...isn't that where the special enchantments and spells forged into the bright steel come into play or did Mr. Masamune achieve that feat as well?:o:D

his parents are his publishers? that explains a heck of alot, It wouldn't be much of a feat to write with more skill than him.

This is, perhaps the first time I have posted to the OT threads but this one caught my eye. Haven't read the books but I saw the movie LOL. Just kidding :) Haven't even seen the movie yet. Anyway, I really don't see where "who" published a book has a lot to do with skill, but the author apparently has proven his skill, me thinks! Random House? Yeah, perhaps...BTW I took the liberty to correct your word usage above. "then" is a word that describes "when" something happened. I'm no English major but that one just grates on me. Sorry ;)