I Forge Iron

Cable Damascus Hunter

Mike Turner

Cable Damascus Hunter with elk antler scales with stainless steel pins. Cable damascus bolsters with brass pins.

This is a knife I helped a friends son make. We made 2 different knives this one is for his dad the other is for his step father. I let him do as much as he could with out destroying it LOL. This was forged out of 1 1/2" cable, I did the welding and let him draw it out on my Little Giant. He liked my hunter style so we went with it, he did the profiling. I ground the bevels and machine finished to 800 grit, he did all the hand sanding. I did the pin layout the way he wanted he did the drilling on the blade and scales. I had some cable damascus left over from another knife that we used for the scales. He wanted brass pins so I set him up and let him peen the pins. I slabbed the antler for him and let him profile the scales and shape them, I did the blending of the bolsters and scales. I pretty much finished the knife for him at this point.

I hope you enjoy it it was a lot of fun working with him and he had a blast :D.

IMG_4120-1.jpg

IMG_41241.jpg

Mike,
Those are sweet. Could you explain the process you go through to make the bolsters for a full tang knife? I've had a bit of trouble trying to get things to line up real nice/symmetrical on both sides. Ie. do you profile the blade side of a block, then split the block so that both sides have the same shape? Do you drill the block before you split it? drill tang first then bolster/block or vice versa? Etc...

Mike,
Those are sweet. Could you explain the process you go through to make the bolsters for a full tang knife? I've had a bit of trouble trying to get things to line up real nice/symmetrical on both sides. Ie. do you profile the blade side of a block, then split the block so that both sides have the same shape? Do you drill the block before you split it? drill tang first then bolster/block or vice versa? Etc...

This is one knife I have not posted the other yet. I am getting ready to put bolsters on another knife so I will do a tutorial of what I do for you.

Mike,
THANKS A TON!!! I just finished a small skinner and should post some pix. Maybe I'll actually make it onto the friday night knife chat tonight. Not sure though, as I may be drinking some sorrows away. Had to put my dog down yesterday and it's been a rough week. Anyway, I saw a knife in Cabela's catalog and like the looks of it and so made my own version of the "buck mini-alpha" skinner out of a chainsaw billet we made a few weeks ago up in Gearheart, Or. at John Emmerling's shop. It turned out pretty decent for my 4th ever knife. Used Ebony scales and copper pins. I only used about 2" of the 12" billet for this blade so am thinking about a 4'ish inch drop point hunter next. Probably also the ebony for the scales, but would like to use some silicon bronze for a bolster much like you did on the knife in this post.