I Forge Iron

Tongs for RR spikes

I have about a 100 RR spikes non of my tongs grab them from the head end very well. Now I suppose I could make myself a set of Hofi Woop tongs from the blue prints however if I was looking to buy a set does anyone know of a set of tongs that grabs RR spikes by the head and securely holds them or grabs the shaft right at the base and wraps around the head of the spike in order to draw out the shaft of the spike.

Thank you

Chris

There is a seller on eBay named Poorboy Blacksmith Tools that I think sells a set of "quick and dirty" tongs for holding RR spikes. Search under scharabo as username or poorboy blacksmith tools for his store. He is pretty honest, and says they are not for production smiths, but work for a hobbyist or occasional user.

Here's one of his auctions http://cgi.ebay.com/Blacksmith-Railroad-Spike-Tongs_W0QQitemZ380047195769QQihZ025QQcategoryZ13869QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

Study the design, and make your own like them, if you have access to a welder, drill press and chopsaw.

There is also a blueprint somewhere about making your own, but I can't remember whether its here in the blueprints or over on anvilfire in the iforge section.

Oh, How about this thread- http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/f7/rr-spike-tongs-3103/

Hope this helps.

Edited by keykeeper

I went to this place a while back and bought a couple of sets. I had to dril and drift my own holes, but was able to make a set of tongs specifically for spikes. I adjusted the reins for comfort and found that I can also use them for a variety of otehr sized stock. cost was 8 bucks a pair plus S&H. I will post pics is a bit.
Blacksmith Supply LLC