I Forge Iron

Kim Thomas's anvil stand tool rack

Here's a clip from one of Kim Thomas's livestreams, showing the tool rack on the back of his anvil stand. This holds his three favorite hammers, a pair of scrolling tongs, and his wire brush. Click on the video for Kim describing a few of its fine points and design considerations.

Good video, I've always liked Kim Thomas, he presents himself as very likable and a good teacher. Thanks for linking us John.

Not spearing myself in the leg is one reason I hang my ready hammers handle down, it lets me feel which is which without looking too. I haven't hung tongs on the far side after a couple tries, they're much more convenient hanging on the forge or table racks. Worse, After using a pair you can't easily pick them up until they cool down and the racks on the anvil stand hold them bits up.:o

Frosty The Lucky.

Kim is a great teacher and a very cool guy. He's been very supportive, including passing on to me a big batch of duplicates and extras from his smithing library (whence cometh most of my back issues of The Anvil's Ring and The Hammer's Blow). His "chisel stand" (LINK) inspired my own combination stock-support/hold-down stand:

IMG_8165.jpeg.485fba5882ede7c155ef3227edd0109a.jpeg

John, I am not sure that I can quite figure out how this works.  I'm pretty sure that the round handle on the right lifts and lowers the rectangular "table" on the left to whatever height you want.  However, what is the kind of raggedy piece of angle iron which is welded to the handle for?  Some kind of stop? Also, how is the table held at the desired height?  Rachet?  Pin?  Friction?  Faith and prayer (;-))?

G

George, the “raggedy piece of angle iron” is a scrap of cap rail (detritus from someone’s car crashing into someone else’s front steps); I welded it on so that I could operate the hold-down clamp with either hand or foot. Here’s a quick video:

This adjusts with a telescoping center post. I set it at the proper height with the cam and then lock it with the thumbscrew:

IMG_8738.jpeg