I Forge Iron

Cold set AKA (handled cold chisel) video

Well I needed a new cold set. Been getting ready with a group of smiths for the upcoming ABANA group forging competition and wanted to bring my tool design to the table. This is more or less the design I like.. I like a blade with a very narrow cross section and a () profile.     

.. Not my best video job but trying something new with an AI tracking camera and instead of wasting the footage figured I'd put the video together. 

I did not watch the video in it's entirety so if someone finds a glitch please let me know.    Yup, I"m a slacker. 

Another helpful video Jennifer, thank you! I'm a long way from attempting something like this, but I very much appreciate being able to learn from your process and explanation. I thought the AI tracking was quite interesting in the first chunk of the video, but it seemed to go a little wonky after a while...wonder if it might be sensitive to heat in the trailer? It was a shame to loose your audio commentary in the later parts of the video. But minor kinks aside, you give lots to chew on.

--Larry

Thanks Larry..  Your feedback is much appreciated..    And your welcome. 

It did go wonky and it would not track or stay locked on target.. I sent footage to the company and hope they get it resolved..  I bought the cameras for doing live streams.. 

The trailer is very cool maybe 55F that day..   it is possible though that the cameras themselves getting hot from use can be the problem.  

Somewhere around the time of the first fade off, the camera took on a mind of it's own much quicker..   I gave up after 4 corrections.. 

Was having the reheat times in the video a good thing?   I've left them out previously because I thought no one wanted to see me standing there..  The reheat times don't warrant a song and dance intermission.. 

Sometimes I live under a rock (even though I have a background in IT), so your mention of AI tracking piqued my curiosity. While it was behaving itself I thought it was quite effective, providing much more of a sense of the space you're working in. If you had a static camera then I think the reheats would get tiresome, but with the tracking it really provided much more of a sense of just how much time goes into this particular project. One of your youtube commenters notes that you make it feel very approachable & I'd guess that leaving the reheats in might reinforce that for her. For me though, just thinking about what that chunk of 4140 weighs, I have a tough time visualizing myself taking that on. That said, you do make it approachable by giving the sense of continuity with (what appears to be) minimal things edited out. I think the camera tracking also mimics what a viewer might do if they were in the trailer with you, following you around rather than being constrained to a single perspective.

Out of curiosity, what were you fiddling with up on the wall above the hammer rack? It appeared that you were using your phone to control the Obsbot camera.

--Larry

To me it looked like the AI lost track of you when you moved to fast across and out of it’s field of view. I did like the effect/feel of the video while it was performing well.

Also, the audio at the end (~5min) got pretty low and seemed to stop completely.

I’m always impressed how you produce such clean forgings so quickly. Even breaking down/drawing out that 1-1/4” 4140 without even having to dress back any fish mouthing. Could really be miss leading to a new blacksmith, but I know how much work and skill that takes!

Keep it fun,

David

2 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

The reheat times don't warrant a song and dance intermission.

Oh I don't know, you COULD do a little jig while you crank. Happy St. Patty's day.:)

How does the camera track? If its IR all the heat sources could be confusing the chip. 

I'm afraid I had to stop watching after a little while the weird camera behavior got too distracting for me.

Frosty The Lucky.

3 hours ago, LarryFahnoe said:

Sometimes I live under a rock (even though I have a background in IT), so your mention of AI tracking piqued my curiosity. While it was behaving itself I thought it was quite effective, providing much more of a sense of the space you're working in. If you had a static camera then I think the reheats would get tiresome, but with the tracking it really provided much more of a sense of just how much time goes into this particular project. One of your youtube commenters notes that you make it feel very approachable & I'd guess that leaving the reheats in might reinforce that for her. For me though, just thinking about what that chunk of 4140 weighs, I have a tough time visualizing myself taking that on. That said, you do make it approachable by giving the sense of continuity with (what appears to be) minimal things edited out. I think the camera tracking also mimics what a viewer might do if they were in the trailer with you, following you around rather than being constrained to a single perspective.

Out of curiosity, what were you fiddling with up on the wall above the hammer rack? It appeared that you were using your phone to control the Obsbot camera.

--Larry

That's great feedback right there..  Thanks.. I have a tough time judging and not sure what people would want to see. 

I'm not exactly sure how Obsbot does it.. I do know they have something mounted in the side of the lens and it has to be open.. So a filter has to have an open section so as not to block it. 

What I was doing was turning on the upper camera..  The front camera is mounted nearly on the ceiling at the corner..  

My anvil is mounted lower than knuckle height so I do not have to hold the bar up with a bent arm.. Basically, my arm is nearly straight, and just have to hold onto it.  31" is my anvil height. 

1 hour ago, Goods said:

To me it looked like the AI lost track of you when you moved to fast across and out of it’s field of view. I did like the effect/feel of the video while it was performing well.

I’m always impressed how you produce such clean forgings so quickly. Even breaking down/drawing out that 1-1/4” 4140 without even having to dress back any fish mouthing. Could really be miss leading to a new blacksmith, but I know how much work and skill that takes!

Thanks..

The Obsbot tail is supposed to be able to film sports and such so fast movements are not much of a problem when working right.   Not sure what the deal is.. 

Ok, so keeping the good tracking footage in is ok?    Not to long of a video?    Those extra 2 to 5min reheat times do add up in overall video length.. 

David, there are a bunch of things I learned over the years..  Seeing them implemented in person can help see a different experience.  There are a lot of things I learned I don't have to do if I do X first.  

Not sure if it was clear in the video but pulled the long sides in as a preform before thinning the blade itself.   Pinching the metal from the inside out eliminates the tendency to fish mouth and the preform helps minimize corrections to width.

yes, it could be misunderstood or help the newer smith see there is a way to do it, without all the prep most do. 

There is a good reason to take classes with schooled and knowledgeable people..  It can really open a new understanding. 

I like seeing effective and efficient forging.  I'll keep working at it. 

Frosty I'm not skilled enough to clog and forge at the same time..  :) 

I have no idea how the camera tracks..  I do know this was a new thing vs the original model which never had this problem..    This newer model is very fancy compared to the original Tail camera. 

The video tracking was good to about 35min then it drifted..  I caught it and eliminated it by 41min in..   But since this camera was in charge of sound the sound dropped off and the volume has to be raised.. 

Your tolerance for shaky camera footage must be low.. Visual disturbances can be tough..  You might do better with a single camera position without the switching..