I Forge Iron

integral belt hatchet

is integral the right name? not sure but its made like a full tang knife!

anyway, made from 5160 (leaf spring) and all one piece, measuring about 14" overall, 5'' handle, and a head about 3.5'' wide. It averages 1/4'' thick, but the head tapers to the edge and the tang under the cherry bwood scales is tapered in thickness as well.

overall was very fun to make and feels very nice to hold

photo_2024-03-07_21-56-34.jpg

photo_2024-03-07_21-56-30.jpg

photo_2024-03-07_21-56-15.jpg

Not sure on the weight Frosty, it's similar to a moderately sized Bowie, but the forward balance makes it feel like a heavy knife. On the flip side it makes for a light and thin axe which is pretty comfortable for light wood shaping, kindling splitting, or dressing larger game.

As for the "patina" it's just forge finished, then the profile draw filed with a fine single cut file, edges broken, the edge ground and polished, then the whole thing wire wheeled then gone over with a coarse black polishing compound on a spiral sewn wheel to give a nice sheen and soft feel.

Ed, it is a lovely hachet but I will have to be a bit of a nay sayer.  Years ago I was on a camping trip with friends and someone had a commercially made one similar to yours (not as nice).  I recall trying it and not being impressed because the weight was not in the head which changed the balance from what I was used to and the head area didn't have enough mass.  It didn't "bite" as well as one with a heavier head and lighter handle.  Maybe I was using it for something too heavy for it like chopping a limb or something.  I can see it as a splitter for straight grained wood or going through a pelvis when field dressing a game animal.

Still, a very attractive job.

GNM

George you nailed it's proposed usage actually! It went to my brother for using when hunting, specifically for splitting the pelvis on deer and small tasks around the hunting camp like kindling. It's tempered for that purpose as well to keep the edge from chipping when biting into bone, which is how our father ruined his favorite knife a few years ago.