I Forge Iron

Dutch Oven Lid Lifter

I had a batchelor party to go to last weekend and the honored friend is a big-time outdoor cook. He uses dutch ovens a lot and wanted a lid lifter. He gave me a shed deer horn/antler to use as a handle. Well, as usual, I procrastinated until about an hour before I had to leave to go to the party. I fired up the forge and bent some 3/8 round into the following. The hook grabs the loop on the lid and the triangle bottom acts as the counter to keep the lid from rocking and dropping ashes on the food. I looked around on the internet and even went to Academy to see how the Lodge brand lifter looked. Most have a cross bar welded on as a counter-lever. I did not have time to forge weld one on and my welding machine was 60 miles away at the time-so I had to get a bit creative. I was too "wobbley" by the time we actually hooked it up to a dutch oven to take a pic of the lifter in use, but it did work really well.

8969.attach

8971.attach

8972.attach

Well done. When I was just getting started, I took a class at Campbell folk school with Bill Epps, he taught me how to make one, and he also made me complete my first successful forge weld by growling at me "just do it"! So it has been sitting out in my forge for the last 2 years getting banged around and rusting up. I guess some would say "curing", I hope you don't mind, I posted a pic of it here. Your post brought back some good memories of that class!

Use the idea-that is why I posted it. "A blind hog finds an acorn every now and then"-as do I find a decent idea now and then. I have gained so much from this community that I do not mind giving some of my ideas. I am reluctant at times to post-for fear of being too arrogant....Please don't ever take my posts as arrogant as I am the least arrogant person I have ever met...haha:)