I Forge Iron

Pewter nose cap on a Trapdoor

Supposedly Wild Bill Hickock was buried with an 1870-ish Springfield with a pewter cap, they dug it up when they moved the grave. It was heavily customized though.

You can see it here:

Bonhams : WILD BILL HICKOK'S SPRINGFIELD TRAPDOOR RIFLE BURIED BY HIS SIDE AT DEADWOOD SOUTH DAKOTA ON AUGUST 3, 1876. No visible serial number, circa 1870, .45-70 caliber 29 5/8 inch barrel, 1863 on tail of lock.

The back story on the 18984 TD, It was my grandfather's when it was in original form.  It hung on the wall in the mud room on his farm for as long as I can remember. My dad and Grandpa shot .410 shot shells out of her.  After I began to understand firearms I discovered why they shot her like that.  The barrel was corroded/eroded past the rifling and the stock was cracked from the wrist through the lock mortice. After he passed in 1990, I came into possession of her and promptly named her Clara after my grandmother. being that I can't leave anything alone it had to bring her into shooting form.  I really wanted to do Grandpa and Clara justice.  The stock and most the furniture was traded at a local gun show to a collector of those kinds of devices. It took me until 2005 to really decide and afford how the rebuild would go and 2010 before she was shootable.  The barrel is a Green Mountain .457" octagon designed for a Sharps hand filing and chalking the files after every stroke.  The stock is the result of my 3rd try at stock whittling.  The first 2 were the ugliest stocks I think I've ever seen.  This Walnut stock is intentionally shaped like my interpretation of a "Gemmer Hawken".  Lock and action are original and the color from the original case hardening is still visible in bright sunlight. Trigger guard and sights are from a worn-out T/C renegade .54 cal.  You guys already know the story of the nose cap. I made the butt plate from a piece of steel tube with some welding heating and shaping.  She is rightfully chambered for .45-70 BP loads. Now that is a true labor of love.  

Archie, now for the big question:  How does it shoot?  My Army issue M1884 shoots pretty well but I have never actually measured a group to figure out MOA.

I also think that it is cool that you cast the nose cap directly onto the stock.  I assume that the screws in the end of the stock are to anchor the nose cap.

G

Outstanding job on the customization of an old classic. I love both original and customized old one's.

I have a Springfield Krag Jorgenson 30-40 Krag that is customized, best deer rifle ever. My old Lt. (may he rest in peace) used to say that 30-40 Krag could be laid on a bench or tree stump and if a deer walked by within a hundred yards it would shoot it without Randy's help.:)

My Springfield 1884 Trapdoor is in original configuration and I load both black powder and Trail Boss powder for it. I can consistently hit clay birds on a berm at 125 yards with it.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus