I Forge Iron

Post vise identity

Ride

Happy New Year, Ride

If you put your area of where you are making a shadow, in your avatar, people will know who lives near you.

Looks like the Vice needs a good cleaning and lubricating. I have access to roller thrust bearings (clutch release bearings), which I add to the thrust washer. It is entirely up to you, it is not necessary. You can put some grease, lubriplate, bear grease, on the thrust faces too.

It doesn't matter who made it, or when. Enjoy it!!

Neil

Posted (edited)

Thank you. Happy new year.  

Just curious about its history.

I'll be working on it the next few days. So that thrust face looks normal? I was wondering if I had to build it up and face it off.

Also added my location. 

Thanks again 

Edited by Mod30
Remove excessive quote.

The thrust washer looks okay, maybe smooth the face with some fine sandpaper to smooth up the action You could cut a copper washer to place between the thrust washer and seat. 

The trouble with learning the history of any given leg vise is just how many thousands were cranked out and many components were interchangeable. Simply because many of the makers used the same plans or close enough to be interchangeable. 

It LOOKS kind of Columbian from here but that's a maybe possible.

Frosty The Lucky.

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

The thrust washer looks okay, maybe smooth the face with some fine sandpaper to smooth up the action You could cut a copper washer to place between the thrust washer and seat. 

The trouble with learning the history of any given leg vise is just how many thousands were cranked out and many components were interchangeable. Simply because many of the makers used the same plans or close enough to be interchangeable. 

It LOOKS kind of Columbian from here but that's a maybe possible.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you. I'll just clean it up a bit then. I like the copper washer idea. I think that's the path I will take.

Regards