I Forge Iron

My 65 kg German blacksmith vise - another video

caotropheus

Thank you for the video, it's a good example of some of the things a person will run into restoring old tools and equipment. I noted that you could REALLY use a couple thread files, they come in many TPI and pitches, SAE and Metric.

Thanks again for sharing all the hard work and fine results.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you for the reply Frosty. When you say that I "...could REALLY use a couple thread files, they come in many TPI and pitches, SAE and Metric" you mean to repair the threads of the mounting plate and the pivot bolt for the moveable jaw, right?

I did not think about that but, it is an idea I will take into consideration.

Thanks

PS: For the price I payed for the vice, yes I also have to consider my self caotropheus "The Lucky". 

Here are a couple images, the first one shows how they work, the second pic is a set. They're typically double ended, each different face having a different pitch. These are external thread files and there are internal thread files though I've never used one of those. I'm sure there are how to use thread file videos which should show how to select which one to use. 

I wouldn't be without mine. Watching you dress those damaged threads with the files you used made my arm ache in sympathy.

Frosty The Lucky.

image.thumb.png.682e1d2a8eb835b25169eff1f943ba7f.png   image.png.73f31678ac9c96cd9c5711da79ed6cb4.png