I Forge Iron

Forge welding cable for Damascus....

hbmasa

What is the moment where you give up on welding certain strands? Some that look like theyve gotten black still go in. And how do you put toggether a big split in a billet. Lots of firm taps or can i hit it finally. Was tight but loosened up. Sometimes i hit a line "cooler" and it rips up the whole line from my weld but it made my rr track ping. 

Tx

Sorry, wrong place

Don't weld cable on the anvil's face. Do it in a V swage or the step between face and horn IF your anvil has a step. A V swage applies compressive force from 3 directions so the cable can't smoosh out and spread the yarns and strands on the sides. 

I like cleaning the cable thoroughly, not so much to get rid of oil and grease but to get rid of particulate junk, dirt, etc. The grease and oil actually make a good flux if it's NOT a high tech lube. I heat it up till it stops smoking and after it's cooled to reasonable I sluice it out with a solvent that evaporates completely acetone or toluene are good but white gas works.

Fluxing full depth is a challenge, I've never been one of those guys who heats to orange before fluxing, in my experience it just builds a layer of scale. I apply flux as soon as it will melt and let it find it's way in. Or I mix a saturated solution of borax in water and dip the warm cable. As the cable cools further capillarity draws the solution full depth and the water evaporates out when I heat it back up. 

Some folks tell me I'm crazy but I already knew that. :P

Welding in V swages works better than round swages just remember to rotate the cable between blows.

Frosty The Lucky.