I Forge Iron

Scholarships?

I would imagine the Pacific NW is a bit further afield then you are looking but I know that NWBA has some sort of scholarship that they offer to new members / new smiths. I was just checking their site but couldn't find any reference to it, you could try emailing someone there directly for more info. NWBA Blacksmith

I believe it's is gear towards attending a short 3-5 day type of class rather than a college scholarship. They have had the recipients of the award write an article for the Hot Iron News that they publish.

Our local blacksmith group gives 2 scholarships per year. But you have to be a member for 1 year before you can apply for one. Then your name goes into a hat along with everyone else and hopefully you get drawn. It took me 7 years before I was lucky enough to be picked. I know the blacksmith group in NC has scholarships, but do not know their requirements for applying.

Note that these are generally scholarships for a specific class or conferance; not for a year at a college. And as mentioned they are generally only for the members of that group.

Our ABANA affiliate is looking into setting one up; so I've been looking into what other groups have done.

Hey Larry,

The NWBA's scholarship is called the Al Bart grant. It's typically given out for tuition into short seminars or classes - membership is required (not sure about duration) and the recipient has to do either a newsletter article or demonstration (or both if willing) on what they've learned.