I Forge Iron

Please advice on fabrication pricing

A friend of mine works in the gulf off-shore as a well administrator and asked me to fab a few cylinder racks with lifting eyes on them as soon as possible. They are sending me the specs and I am to draw up a blueprint and submit it back to them for approval.

Question: what is the billing rate for drawing prints. Also what is the billing rate for the cylinder rack. 50% mark up on materials and 75 dollars a hour for my time. Is this resonable or the correct way to go about it.

I have made alot of things but having some of my weldaments off shore working for a major corp will be a notch on my belt.

No I didnt factor in liability or insurance. I was planning on making it out of mild steel. I asked if they wanted it iut of stainless and they said no. But what if the corrosion from the salt compromises the lifting eye or worse the bottom of the rack and some one goes to lift it and two bottles come crashing down on some one or on some piece of expensive gear and they wanna sue me.

I am trying to work out the logistics of all this but I may not be ready for this level of support. Thanks for your thoughts. Peter

On the North Sea rigs, there is also a problem with the vast temperature range that occurs within the environment due to sun, sea and wind.

Welding specs on these areas are quite detailed and controlled, coded approved welders being required to do the work

I don't know how or if this applies in your situation but felt it should be pointed out

• 2 weeks later...

all that has been said is true, remember lt will be loaded/off loades with a crane,most likley, so you will have roughnecks, roustabouts in the immediate area. so liability will be a big issue. and it gets real rough out there,so be prepared to analize all aspects of the job- if something happens they will hang somebody!! maybe build it and add,approved links,chains,cables,etc. to have it conform. but remember that a roughneck can tear up an anvil with a feather, be weary and look at all the fine print, hope this helps,jimmy seale