I Forge Iron

Made my first tomahawk today. Watched Modern Marvels on axes and finally got the urge to get my buttocks off the couch and go do some smithing. Forged from W1 square bar, the eye hole was slot punched with a slot punch I made from 4140 1 inch round bar, then I drifted it to shape (first time I ever made and used a slot punch too, worked out very well). Hardened in Park's, then draw tempered with a torch (will do a 400F temper for an hour or two when I get my temper tank up and running again). the handle still needs to have the wedge finished and the metal wedges added. Here is pictures:

8684.attach

8685.attach

8686.attach

8687.attach

8688.attach

As always Sam, great job. What are you gonna use for a finish on it? And are you gonna use that for youself (wood) or give it to someone. Since, I haven't bothered making a hot cut, that has somesort of a handle attached to it yet, I bought a cheapo hatchet to use for now. Wouldn't recommend your awesome hatchet for that though. Great job, do you know the dimensions off hand? BTW, does this one go into the pile of "To be finished blades and what not" ??? Lol, jk.

Edited by m_brothers

Thanks guys!

John, nope I will finish this one off completely tommorrow. I will use regular old mineral oil or linseed oil or beeswax, whatever is on hand hehe. What type of dimensions are you looking for? Head is 7 3/8ths long from edge to poll, handle is 15 1/4 inches from under the head, the edge is about 2 3/4s of an inch long. Not sure what it weighs, I would say about 1.5 pounds. Only chopped a little pine to test it out a bit, dang it chops real sweet. Once I get the handle on and wedged I will for sure put it through it's paces on some hardwoods.

Cool. Do you go camping a lot, cuz this would be perfect for that. You don't have anything in any larger sized stock??? Maybe a large damascus axe would be cool. Lol. Either way, can't wait to see it when completely down.

I don't do NEARLY as much camping as I would like, but you are 100% correct it would be perfect and I look forward to next season to try it out (too cold now). I have some larger stock, but not good enough steel for a proper axe.

Larry, sounds exciting!!!!!!!! Cannot wait for the pictures, something tells me perhaps there is a steel bit/wrought/mild body axe in the bunch?;):D

BTW- Sam did you delve into your library for inspiration or how-to's on this?
Just looking out for those who might want to try making one of these who may not live anywhere near an active blacksmithing group and are on their own.
I have one book here which is very good on this subject but I'll leave the ball in your court, its your thread.
Dan:)

BTW- Sam did you delve into your library for inspiration or how-to's on this?
Just looking out for those who might want to try making one of these who may not live anywhere near an active blacksmithing group and are on their own.
I have one book here which is very good on this subject but I'll leave the ball in your court, its your thread.
Dan:)

Dan, I alas do not have any good books or info on axes or axe making in my small humble library, so I would highly welcome any suggestions you have and are more than welcome to post them here. I did glean a bunch of information from a few threads over on Don Fogg's forum, as well as my internet surfing looking at a bunch of cool axe makers from russia. Here is the thread from Don's

bearded axe curve - Bladesmith's Forum Board

Alot of good info there.

That would make one FINE throwing axe.
Good thing I'm running a Throwing practice today - I've got the itch to throw axes now.
Thanks Sam. :D

Sam (the other Sam)

Sam, that is great info! It does feel pretty hefty for a throw, though I made it more as a keen cutting edge holder it would not be as tough as a thrower would require (especially with my skills at throwing hehe).

that is great info! It does feel pretty hefty for a throw, though I made it more as a keen cutting edge holder it would not be as tough as a thrower would require (especially with my skills at throwing hehe).

If it will chop wood - it will throw! :D

Throwers don't need to be thick in the cross section. All my throwers are actually pretty thin bladed - thinner than your average belt hatchet (no I didn't make them - I bought them but making axes in on my list of skills to master). ;)

I'm very envious of your accomplishment Sam. One day I'll be posting a picture of my first axe too. :D One day soon I hope.

Sam (the other Sam)

good stuff sam, i started when i was about 14 making throwing knives out of lawnmower blades

then i upgraded to a sink with a house fan
i also had cement pillar post with a carpenters hammer

then i stopped for about 4 years and bought a kmg and it sat for a year and a half unused

the basics are like a drop of water in the ocean, once you figure something out you realize there is alot more room to swim

I tend not to think about it the ocean is too vast, haha