I Forge Iron

Hehe :D very well put Bryce, I like that. A long term goal I hope to begin soon is damascus, and that is definately a drop in the ocean :).

After my plumber's torch I moved to a 1970 era cast iron bibachi grill and coal, with a shop vac (6 foot flames scared the neighbors :D).

Nope Doug it was just lined up when cold. I took the bar, the positioned the chisel, then tipped it up onto one corner and gave it a smack, then tipped it back flat, then tipped up on the other corner then gave it a smack, all while cold on soft steel. That allowed me a nice mark to set my slot punch into when I got the bar nice and hot. I will have a how-to up over the next two weeks.

nice work ! have you tried the forge welded style yet? Ive been makeing tommahawks and axes for years and that is a good drifted eye! you might try (on the next one) to pull some metal down on the eye to form "ears".. it isnt easy but it really looks good and adds a bit to the stability of the axe head into the handle . have fun!