I Forge Iron

Kaowool

raypa

A guy I work with tinkers with a store bought gas forge and it peaked my interest. I have seen the gas 10" pipe blue prints on here and deceided I would try to make one and get into the hobby. I have looked around for the kaowool to line the pipe, but I'm only finding 1/2" thick matierial. Any suggestions on where to shop?

Also, would I be able to use a larger diameter pipe? 10" seams small once you get your insulation in.
Any additional advice is more than welcome

Thanks!

C. J. Products Inc.
Attn: Jay Hayes
100 Christmas Place, Weston, WV 26452
(304) 269-6111

email: jay@hrea.coop

"Everything needed to build Gas Forges; Ceramic Fiber Refractory Blanket & Board by the foot; ITC-100, Super Duty Floor Bricks; Industrial LP Gas Regulators, Hoses, Valves, and Fittings; High Performance Burner Kits, Valve Manifold Kits; Machined Burner Nozzles & Orifices; LP Gas Forge Kits in many styles and sizes to fit your needs and budget including our new Super Wide Oval Forges and Clamshell Forges. Custom sizes available, Technical Support"

This is from an internet classified ad, I copied the material over to here for you. I know Jay from our state blacksmithing organization, very nice fellow, very good to deal with and highly knowledgeable about forges. Shoot him an email or give him a call and he can probably help you in short order.

Also, would I be able to use a larger diameter pipe? 10" seams small once you get your insulation in.

In my first forge I thought the same thing and found I needed to add some firebrick to decrease the inside area or add a 2nd burner to increase the heat in order to get it to heat up enough to forge with. There are calculations that will help you get an idea of how much space you can heat with each type of burner. Perhaps I should have used one of them LOL!