I Forge Iron

Adding weight to an anvil

I'm wondering if any of you guys have added weight to your anvil or know someone who did. I'm thinking of bolting my 126lb anvil to a 200lb chunk of steel that I have sitting around. I want a bigger anvil but don't want to spend the money. I'm also not corncerned about the looks of my anvil. Will this help or be a waste of time? Thanks a lot.

How well adding weight to an anvil works is a function of how it's attached. Just sitting on something good and heavy with good rebound will help a little, bolting it down will help more and welding it even more. Unfortunately to get the full benefit you'd have to make a full penetration weld between the two.

Bolting them together will help, the tighter and more directly the better. By direct I mean running the bolts either through or into the anvil and plate rather than using a clamp of some sort.

How well the anvil matches the plate is really important too and folk will hate you a lot less for grinding the bottom flat than grinding the face off.

So, if I were going to do this, I'd grind the bottom to as close to a full contact match with the plate as I could. On many anvils you'll be doing good to get 30-50% match, especially cast bodies.

Then I'd determine a bolt pattern that'd give me the best possible contact pressure. Then drill the plate with the pattern and using a transfer punch center punch the anvil base. I'd then drill and tap the anvil, bolt them together and see how it worked.

Good luck and keep looking for a heavier anvil as anything that physically changes your anvil will decrease the value to high dollar buyers (antique collectors) and some smiths.

Frosty

Edited by Frosty